Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

Default Hardwood door finish

I'm about to replace a hardwood door, bought very cheaply from Magnet
Trade. The existing door is stained dark brown to match the house (see
other posts) but I want to try this one with a light finish, it leads
into a utility room with oak fittings.

Can anyone suggest a wood stain that doesn't stain! I know I could use
varnish, but it will peel and crack.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
I'm about to replace a hardwood door, bought very cheaply from Magnet
Trade. The existing door is stained dark brown to match the house (see
other posts) but I want to try this one with a light finish, it leads
into a utility room with oak fittings.

Can anyone suggest a wood stain that doesn't stain! I know I could use
varnish, but it will peel and crack.

How about oiling it? I find oil to be a very pleasing and easy to
maintain finish.

What is the wood?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:08:03 +0000, Grunff wrote:

How about oiling it? I find oil to be a very pleasing and easy to
maintain finish.

I did wonder about oil, but there is a possibility that I might want
to use a darker colour if I don't like the light colour.

What is the wood?

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:08:03 +0000, Grunff wrote:

How about oiling it? I find oil to be a very pleasing and easy to
maintain finish.

I did wonder about oil, but there is a possibility that I might want
to use a darker colour if I don't like the light colour.

What is the wood?

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it. Wet it
with water or white spirit to get an idea of how it'll look.
Sapele does bleach rather well though if you can be bothered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it. Wet it
with water or white spirit to get an idea of how it'll look.

Thanks, I did wonder.

Sapele does bleach rather well though if you can be bothered.

Oxalic acid?

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it. Wet it
with water or white spirit to get an idea of how it'll look.

Thanks, I did wonder.

Sapele does bleach rather well though if you can be bothered.

Oxalic acid?

No, a 2 part peroxide bleach.
Part 1 will turn it alarmingly dark. Leave it to dry, then lightly sand.
Part 2 doesn't look promising either until it's completely dry. It seems
like you're back to square one, except you shouldn't get the red when
you finish it.
Not a procedure to be undertaken lightly. It's messy, requires synthetic
fibre brushes, plastic gloves, and should really be done outdoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it.

I think I guessed wrong. I've now had another look and compared it
with wood that I know is Sapele, this is lighter.

Here's a photo (with a wet bit) if anyone knows:

http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/temp/door002.jpg

The colour, even wet, is pretty good. So I'm looking for a sealant
that will not darken it. That's what I meant by "a wood stain that
doesn't stain".

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it.

I think I guessed wrong. I've now had another look and compared it
with wood that I know is Sapele, this is lighter.

Here's a photo (with a wet bit) if anyone knows:

http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/temp/door002.jpg

The colour, even wet, is pretty good. So I'm looking for a sealant
that will not darken it. That's what I meant by "a wood stain that
doesn't stain".

--
Nigel M

Beech is light, and I cant get to that jpg?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it.

I think I guessed wrong. I've now had another look and compared it
with wood that I know is Sapele, this is lighter.

Here's a photo (with a wet bit) if anyone knows:

http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/temp/door002.jpg

The colour, even wet, is pretty good. So I'm looking for a sealant
that will not darken it. That's what I meant by "a wood stain that
doesn't stain".

--
Nigel M

Clear varnish will give the same result either gloss or satin.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:56:06 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

I guess it is Sapele, cheap and cheerful.

If so, it'll go red as soon as you put even a clear finish on it.

I think I guessed wrong. I've now had another look and compared it
with wood that I know is Sapele, this is lighter.

Here's a photo (with a wet bit) if anyone knows:

http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/temp/door002.jpg

The colour, even wet, is pretty good. So I'm looking for a sealant
that will not darken it. That's what I meant by "a wood stain that
doesn't stain".

The wet bit looks a bit on the warm side to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
I'm about to replace a hardwood door, bought very cheaply from Magnet
Trade. The existing door is stained dark brown to match the house (see
other posts) but I want to try this one with a light finish, it leads
into a utility room with oak fittings.

Can anyone suggest a wood stain that doesn't stain! I know I could use
varnish, but it will peel and crack.

--
Nigel M

A woodstain that doesn't stain? thats a gooden. ;-)

Take a picture of part of the wall that has the old door on and then take
another picture of the same positon with the new door on use paintshop to
highlight the wood in different light shades.
Personally I prefer light wood doors as it makes things look clean along
with wood flooring in the same colour.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lynet Smith

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest a wood stain that doesn't stain! I know I could use
varnish, but it will peel and crack.

--
Nigel M

Sadolin used to do a 'colourless' stain - interior use only. Any good?

Lynet

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Lynet Smith wrote:
"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest a wood stain that doesn't stain! I know I could use
varnish, but it will peel and crack.

--
Nigel M

Sadolin used to do a 'colourless' stain - interior use only. Any good?

Lynet

Used to do a what? Do they do transparent paint as well?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:42:45 -0000, Lynet Smith wrote:

Sadolin used to do a 'colourless' stain - interior use only. Any good?

Needs to be for exterior use, but that's the sort of thing. I've just
have bad experiences with varnish, so I'd rather get something a bit
more flexible.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:42:45 -0000, Lynet Smith wrote:

Sadolin used to do a 'colourless' stain - interior use only. Any good?

Needs to be for exterior use, but that's the sort of thing. I've just
have bad experiences with varnish, so I'd rather get something a bit
more flexible.

Fitted a cheap door from Wickes which looks similar in colour to your
jpeg. We used their clear professional "woodstain" - that what it says
on the tin anyway
It did what it said in that it didn't change the colour, but I'm not
completely convinced about it's waterproofing properties...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Lynet Smith wrote:
snip

Sadolin used to do a 'colourless' stain - interior use only. Any good?

You can still get that - they call it white spirit.