Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

Default Upvc Door Adjustment

I have a upvc door with hinges the same as the one in the diagram from
the bottom of following page:-

http://www.upvcdoorcompany.co.uk/guarantee.htm

The 3 hinges in total both have 2 allen key adjustments.

My question:-

I presume the key at the bottom of the hinge adjustments the height of
the door, please correct me if I'm wrong, but what does the key on the
side do? (Position A)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hybrid

"Darren" wrote in message
I have a upvc door with hinges the same as the one in the diagram from
the bottom of following page:-

http://www.upvcdoorcompany.co.uk/guarantee.htm

The 3 hinges in total both have 2 allen key adjustments.

My question:-

I presume the key at the bottom of the hinge adjustments the height of
the door, please correct me if I'm wrong, but what does the key on the
side do? (Position A)

I've just had one of those doors fitted.
The 3 hinges all have allen key adjustments on them.
They move the door from left to right. The bottom adjustment is also for
left to right movement not height. But in effect if you adjust one hinge in
or out you will be lifting the corner of the door if you know what I mean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren

Thanks for getting back so quickly. That's basically what I wanted to
hear.

The builder I had fit the door, is dragging his heels about levelling
it up for me, so I can see myself eventually doing it. I just wanted
to make sure it was possible, I thought it was, but then questioned
why the builder would be messing around, and not actually doing it.

The door is at an angle that needs to be rotated, ie top hinge pulls
the door in and bottom hinge pushes the door out. The door is correct
in its measurements, ie corner to corner not out of skew, toe heeling
etc, but very noticable that it's not hanging straight with the upvc
frame, about 1cm out. Everything else with the upvc is aligned
perfectly and of the correct measurements, after checking with a
spirit-level etc.

Another question:-

Did you have any trouble getting an allen key to fit, it seems a very
odd size?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Darren wrote:

I have a upvc door with hinges the same as the one in the diagram from
the bottom of following page:-

http://www.upvcdoorcompany.co.uk/guarantee.htm

The 3 hinges in total both have 2 allen key adjustments.

My question:-

I presume the key at the bottom of the hinge adjustments the height of
the door, please correct me if I'm wrong, but what does the key on the
side do? (Position A)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neither adjustment affects the height of the door on the hinge side - but if
you move the top or bottom away from the frame, the angle - and the height
of the remote side - will change.

IIRC from when I did mine, the hinge pin can be rotated in an eccentric
housing - which has the effect of simultaneously moving the door towards or
away from the frame in the plane of the door - and into or out of the room
(in the plane perpendicular to the door). The other adjustement (A on your
diagram) just moves the door towards or away from the frame in the plane of
the door. So you need to adjust the hinge pin first, to get the door in the
right in/out position. *Then* adjust A to get it square in the frame, and so
the locking bolts all line up ok.

ISTR that I needed 2 different sizes of Allen key for the two adjustments -
I forget what size they were, but I had them in my set - or rather in a set
of hex bits which fit into a screwdriver-type handle.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hybrid

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

I got mine direct from the site you posted upvcdoorcompany and they left me
an allen key.
It is 6mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Darren