Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Boiler - proximity to kitchen sink?

Planning out the new kitchen, the ideal place for the boiler (gas
condensing combi, model TBC) is in a corner, which puts it fairly close
to the kitchen sink - close enough that were you so inclined you could
wash up with one hand while fiddling with the boiler with the other.

Is this location permitted? I could site the feeding FCU below the
worktop out of the way if need be, although would prefer it to be in an
obvious visible position, above the worktop - would it make any
difference if it was? (it would also then be reachable by the suicidal
washer-upper?)

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed

"Lobster" wrote in message
Planning out the new kitchen, the ideal place for the boiler (gas
condensing combi, model TBC) is in a corner, which puts it fairly close to
the kitchen sink - close enough that were you so inclined you could wash
up with one hand while fiddling with the boiler with the other.

Is this location permitted? I could site the feeding FCU below the
worktop out of the way if need be, although would prefer it to be in an
obvious visible position, above the worktop - would it make any difference
if it was? (it would also then be reachable by the suicidal washer-upper?)

Thanks
David

Not a brilliant piccie but if you look here
www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/boiler.jpg you'll see that our boiler is very close
to the sink - no more than 12 to 14 inches - and the work has now been
completed, signed off by both the Part P police and CORGI, so the answer to
your question is yes, that's OK. FYI, other 'lectrics in photo are a double
socket and another FCU used as an isolator for the washing machine socket
under the worktop.

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Is this location permitted? I could site the feeding FCU below the
worktop out of the way if need be, although would prefer it to be in an
obvious visible position, above the worktop - would it make any
difference if it was? (it would also then be reachable by the suicidal
washer-upper?)

No problem at all. Keep the boiler and FCU 30cm from the wet part of the
sink itself. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but is usually considered
acceptable for non IP rated electrical accessories to avoid direct
splashing.

There is no requirement to keep electrical accessories out of reach of a
sink. Those rules (bathroom zoning) apply only to showers and baths, not
toilets, sinks and basins.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

There is no requirement to keep electrical accessories out of reach of a
sink. Those rules (bathroom zoning) apply only to showers and baths, not
toilets, sinks and basins.

You sure? All the diagrams I've seen show otherwise.

http://www.sensor.co.uk/Zones.htm
http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bat...t~idPage~5.htm
http://www.dchomewood.co.uk/content.php/313

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

There is no requirement to keep electrical accessories out of reach of a
sink. Those rules (bathroom zoning) apply only to showers and baths, not
toilets, sinks and basins.

You sure? All the diagrams I've seen show otherwise.

The diagrams don't match the regulations. The last one uses the words:

"In addition, it is good practice to consider the area around a wash basin
(within a 60cm radius of any tap) as Zone 2."

Which suggests that it is the opinion of the writer, rather than a
regulatory requirement. In a bathroom I would tend to agree. In a kitchen,
it would be too restrictive, IMO.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

"In addition, it is good practice to consider the area around a wash basin
(within a 60cm radius of any tap) as Zone 2."

Which suggests that it is the opinion of the writer, rather than a
regulatory requirement. In a bathroom I would tend to agree. In a kitchen,
it would be too restrictive, IMO.

60cm is only to the end of the draining board. Seems reasonable to me.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

60cm is only to the end of the draining board. Seems reasonable to me.

Because you have a big kitchen. I have used kitchens that are only 1.2m
across, with the sink near the middle. A 60cm requirement would have
effectively banned any electrical sockets within the room. Indeed, even 30cm
strictly applied would have been problematic, so having this as a grey area
is a good idea.

Also, you are looking for trouble where none exists. The dangers of mixing
water and electricity are vastly overstated. The reason for additional
protection in bathrooms is not the presence of water per se, it is the fact
that you are more likely to be naked and wet yourself, so the consequences
of you touching a live object are much greater. As, hopefully, you remain
dressed and dry in a kitchen, the danger is much reduced. A bit of water on
a socket will cause no harm.

Indeed, you are far more likely to be injured by boiling water from a
kettle. Perhaps these injuries (much more serious and common) will be less
likely if the kettle can be close to a tap.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

60cm is only to the end of the draining board. Seems reasonable to me.

Because you have a big kitchen. I have used kitchens that are only 1.2m
across, with the sink near the middle.

Ah, yes, I had one of them! So narrow that I had to cut 4" off the backs
of the new kitchen units so the doors could open without hitting the
other side.