Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Default Boiler - proximity to kitchen sink?

60cm is only to the end of the draining board. Seems reasonable to me.

Because you have a big kitchen. I have used kitchens that are only 1.2m
across, with the sink near the middle. A 60cm requirement would have
effectively banned any electrical sockets within the room. Indeed, even 30cm
strictly applied would have been problematic, so having this as a grey area
is a good idea.

Also, you are looking for trouble where none exists. The dangers of mixing
water and electricity are vastly overstated. The reason for additional
protection in bathrooms is not the presence of water per se, it is the fact
that you are more likely to be naked and wet yourself, so the consequences
of you touching a live object are much greater. As, hopefully, you remain
dressed and dry in a kitchen, the danger is much reduced. A bit of water on
a socket will cause no harm.

Indeed, you are far more likely to be injured by boiling water from a
kettle. Perhaps these injuries (much more serious and common) will be less
likely if the kettle can be close to a tap.

Christian.