Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Default Glue for repairing an old chair

I've got two small oak chairs to reglue. A traditionalist would I
suspect specify brown glue for them but I would prefer not to go to the
hassle of that; the advantage of PVA is that it cleans up easily but
it's gap filling capability is limited. I used polurethane glue
recently for another job and was impressed by it's gap filling but
didn't like the foamed glue that came out of the joint as it set - is
this s limitation with poly glue or is there some way of cleaning off
the excess?

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On 5 Mar 2006 05:30:47 -0800, "robgraham"
wrote:

I've got two small oak chairs to reglue. A traditionalist would I
suspect specify brown glue for them but I would prefer not to go to the
hassle of that; the advantage of PVA is that it cleans up easily but
it's gap filling capability is limited. I used polurethane glue
recently for another job and was impressed by it's gap filling but
didn't like the foamed glue that came out of the joint as it set - is
this s limitation with poly glue or is there some way of cleaning off
the excess?

Thanks

Rob

I bought a rubberwood dining suite as a flat pack. It was a nice
elegant design and the front and back components of each chair were
well put together. The rails supplied to connect the front and back of
each chair had tenons that were much smaller than the mortices they
went into.

It appears that the user was expected to compensate for this
condition by inserting a screw diagonally through each joint from
underneath. I used the screws but also filled each joint with a
Homebase "No More Nails" equivalent after roughing up the mortice
sockets and cutting annular rings on the tenons. The glue/filler
residue was white but cleaned off easily and stained well.
That was 5 or 6 years ago. After 2 days of curing the chairs were put
to use and were quite remarkable in the way they felt like tuning
forks when they were moved about, they were so firmly jointed.
Still the same solid feel to them to this day.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

robgraham wrote:
I've got two small oak chairs to reglue.

There is a specific glue for just this job;

Veritas Chair Doctor Glue
Chair Doctor Glue does exactly what the name implies - it fixes chairs. If a
chair has a loose rung an injection of Chair Doctor Glue will first swell
the rung and then bond it in position. The secret is the low viscosity. It
soaks into the end grain, swells the wood then 'freezes' the wood in its
swollen state as it cures. A film of dry glue is left on the walls of the
wood cells preventing contraction. The glue can penetrate the narrowest of
cracks and is supplied in a bottle with a micro dropper applicator tip which
lets you place the glue accurately. For regular cabinetmaking PVA adhesive
is the best choice; but for fixing loose joints where disassembly is not an
option Chair Doctor Glue is the most suitable. Available as a 57ml(2fl.oz)
bottle or the Pro Kit which contains 114ml(4fl.oz) of glue, syringe and
three different injection needles.

Available from
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/12/...Glue-22462.htm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I've got two small oak chairs to reglue.

Use Chair Doctor. If Chair Doctor won't do it, then you need some
repair to the woodwork (such as rebuilding a worn tenon), not just glue.

PU glue is no damn use for anything. Too crude for indoor work, too UV
sensitive for outdoor work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I've got two small oak chairs to reglue.

Use Chair Doctor. If Chair Doctor won't do it, then you need some
repair to the woodwork (such as rebuilding a worn tenon), not just glue.

PU glue is no damn use for anything. Too crude for indoor work, too UV
sensitive for outdoor work.

There is another class of glues that will work. Epoxy and polyester
resins. If loaded with filler they are strong and gap filling. They can
be slightly inflexible though, which is why polyurethane is overall used
more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Dingley contains these words:

PU glue is no damn use for anything.

It's excellent for ensuring wallplugs don't fret loose. Particularly in
breezeblocks - use a water pistol to flush the hole out and smear PU
glue on the plug before you put it in. Stays tight (so far) for ever!

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Great idea with one weakness - I'm old enough for my children to have
left home but not old enough for grandchildren ! But a sqeezy bottel
will do.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Andy Dingley wrote:
PU glue is no damn use for anything. Too crude for indoor work, too
UV sensitive for outdoor work.

If by PU you mean polyurethane like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/7/p...Glue-22585.htm
then I'd strongly disagree.

This stuff is incredible!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

robgraham wrote:
I've got two small oak chairs to reglue.

How old? Valuable? Which joint? In what condition is the joint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I've got two small oak chairs to reglue.

Use Chair Doctor.

I've never heard of that - what is it, Andy?

PU glue is no damn use for anything.

Well, it does have some uses but not, I agree, for furniture repairs!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:36:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Use Chair Doctor.

I've never heard of that - what is it, Andy?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...0261&cat=1,110

Most good UK toolshops have it.

PU glue is no damn use for anything.

Well, it does have some uses but not, I agree, for furniture repairs!

Are we talking about the same stuff ? Isocyanate cure foamy glue, or
the solvent based stuff used for shoe and leatherwork (which is handy)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Use Chair Doctor.

I've never heard of that - what is it, Andy?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...0261&cat=1,110

Most good UK toolshops have it.

PU glue is no damn use for anything.

Well, it does have some uses but not, I agree, for furniture repairs!

Are we talking about the same stuff ? Isocyanate cure foamy glue, or
the solvent based stuff used for shoe and leatherwork (which is handy)?

I'm not sure we've used the latter, I don't do leatherwork, leave it to him
and don't ask questions. Although I know that he stitches most of it and I
think he uses an impact adhesive for extra soles.

The foamy stuff is excellent for using in large quantities to make temporary
sculptures for shows; we used it in two caravans to bond and insulate the
outer and inner skins. It did a great job and has performed beautifully. He
used it recently to fill the gaps in ceilings where the new plumbing left
holes.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:40:41 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The foamy stuff is excellent for using in large quantities to make temporary
sculptures for shows;

Sounds like slightly different stuff - that's the canoe-inflating grade,
I'm talking about the rather denser less-foamy but still foamy glue
sort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The foamy stuff is excellent for using in large quantities to make
temporary
sculptures for shows;

Sounds like slightly different stuff - that's the canoe-inflating grade,
I'm talking about the rather denser less-foamy but still foamy glue
sort.

You're probably right. I didn't know of that. Never used it for canoes
though - Parry's (?) account is the instance I know of that.

Mary