Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Glue for repairing an old chair

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:36:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Use Chair Doctor.

I've never heard of that - what is it, Andy?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...0261&cat=1,110

Most good UK toolshops have it.

PU glue is no damn use for anything.

Well, it does have some uses but not, I agree, for furniture repairs!

Are we talking about the same stuff ? Isocyanate cure foamy glue, or
the solvent based stuff used for shoe and leatherwork (which is handy)?

I'm not sure we've used the latter, I don't do leatherwork, leave it to him
and don't ask questions. Although I know that he stitches most of it and I
think he uses an impact adhesive for extra soles.

The foamy stuff is excellent for using in large quantities to make temporary
sculptures for shows; we used it in two caravans to bond and insulate the
outer and inner skins. It did a great job and has performed beautifully. He
used it recently to fill the gaps in ceilings where the new plumbing left
holes.

Mary