Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Default Gas leak or not?

Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
gas), but it isn't.
I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as
well (and check the flue) - again no leaks.
Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find
anything.
I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not
electrical or dead rodent

So... any ideas what else to check?
Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Lee wrote:
Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
gas), but it isn't.

Next door?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Ian Stirling wrote:
Lee wrote:
Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
gas), but it isn't.

Next door?

Good point, I hadn't considered that. I'll ask them when they get in,
the smell has gone again for now so probably isn't urgent

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lee wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Lee wrote:
Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in
our flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only
thing that's gas), but it isn't.

Next door?

Good point, I hadn't considered that. I'll ask them when they get in,
the smell has gone again for now so probably isn't urgent

Lee

So where is the gas more heavily of a smell?

--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:56:26 GMT, Lee wrote:

|Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
|flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
|gas), but it isn't.
|I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as
|well (and check the flue) - again no leaks.
|Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find
|anything.
|I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not
|electrical or dead rodent
|
|So... any ideas what else to check?
|Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

I did see a gas detector on sale quite cheaply recently, :-)
but can not remember where. :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Lee wrote:
Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
gas), but it isn't.
I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as
well (and check the flue) - again no leaks.
Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find
anything.
I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not
electrical or dead rodent

So... any ideas what else to check?
Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

Haven't you rung Transco on their emergency gas-leak number? They'll be
round faster than a rat up a drainpipe, and will find what the problem
is, whether it's next door or not.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Lobster wrote:

Haven't you rung Transco on their emergency gas-leak number? They'll be
round faster than a rat up a drainpipe, and will find what the problem
is, whether it's next door or not.

David

If it was a "strong" and constant smell I would have already rung them,
but TBH I didn't want Transco turning up and capping the supply for a
minor problem.

Though if the neighbours have got a problem and are not rectifying it,
calling them in would obviously be a sensible move... if the smell comes
back I think I will.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So where is the gas more heavily of a smell?

Varies, but near the gas meter mostly, where the shared street-pressure
gas pipe enters, and a very vague smell in the kitchen - which is why I
suspected the boiler at first.

As I said in reply to Lobster, I may just call Transco if the smell
returns, and let them try to find it.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Lee wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So where is the gas more heavily of a smell?

Varies, but near the gas meter mostly, where the shared street-pressure
gas pipe enters, and a very vague smell in the kitchen - which is why I
suspected the boiler at first.

As I said in reply to Lobster, I may just call Transco if the smell
returns, and let them try to find it.

Could it be drains-related at all?

I ask because we had occasion to summon Transco over a smell of gas
outside the house - on our brand-new drive as it happens! We suspected
the contractors might have stuffed our gas pipe in fact; but after
spending the best part of a day poking around in the ground with
sensors, it turned out that the problem was somewhere under the road, 30
yards away, and gas was somehow leaking from the supply pipe and getting
into the sewage system, from where it was wafting up the pipes and out
of a surface drain on the drive!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Lobster wrote:

Could it be drains-related at all?

I ask because we had occasion to summon Transco over a smell of gas
outside the house - on our brand-new drive as it happens! We suspected
the contractors might have stuffed our gas pipe in fact; but after
spending the best part of a day poking around in the ground with
sensors, it turned out that the problem was somewhere under the road, 30
yards away, and gas was somehow leaking from the supply pipe and getting
into the sewage system, from where it was wafting up the pipes and out
of a surface drain on the drive!

Now, that is interesting because there is an occasional whiff of gas
outside near the drain covers. But I've always put that down to one or
other of the nearby boilers purging.
Something to think about though.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:56:26 +0000, Lee wrote:

Seems to be a recent random, and admittedly slight, smell of gas in our
flat. Thought at first it was only with the boiler on (only thing that's
gas), but it isn't.
I did a drop test, which showed no leaks, and got a Corgi to do one as
well (and check the flue) - again no leaks.
Went round *every* visible joint with leak fluid and still can't find
anything.
I've had a look back through the archives and I'm pretty sure it's not
electrical or dead rodent

So... any ideas what else to check?
Would it be worth trying to find/rent ask someone with a gas sniffer?

Lee

There is little risk calling Transco as the installation side is gas
tight.

The boiler may be leaking gas after the valve. However the service
pipework is well in the frame.

where you from ed? not the rotherham/sheffield area of rotherham by any
chance?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Gav writes
Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

The Muswell Hill area of Rotherham akshirly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

raden wrote:
In message , Gav writes
Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

Muswell hill? that aint in rotherham!

possible gas leak jhughes37 Home Repair 13 April 10th 05 05:12 PM
water leak - which way? mich UK diy 2 September 3rd 04 06:24 PM
Water leak - the saga continues..... mich UK diy 13 August 25th 04 10:47 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 01:18 AM
Mystery Bathroom Leak Billy Home Repair 12 August 17th 03 02:39 AM