Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you suggest a fair price for plywood&thickness for floor tiles

Will be laying ceramic tiles shortyly.

Found a local builders merchant (www.buttle.biz) and want to make sure
I get a fair price for this plywood together with some other stuff I
need.

I plan on laying the plywood over the existing floorboards in the
kitchen. I seem to recall I need exterior plywood ?

Trouble is, if I use 22mm with the thickness of the tiles I am worried
about it looking out of place butting against laminate flooring. What
are my options here ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I didn't DIY this, but the tiler used stuff that was much thinner than
22mm for us, maybe half this, although I guess the eveness of the floor
would be a factor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

wrote in message
oups.com...
Will be laying ceramic tiles shortyly.

Found a local builders merchant (www.buttle.biz) and want to make sure
I get a fair price for this plywood together with some other stuff I
need.

I plan on laying the plywood over the existing floorboards in the
kitchen. I seem to recall I need exterior plywood ?

Trouble is, if I use 22mm with the thickness of the tiles I am worried
about it looking out of place butting against laminate flooring. What
are my options here ?

Our upstairs tiles were laid on far thinner plywood - perhaps even as thin
as 5-6mm.

paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Great that's very helpful.

Thanks John & Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Nick wrote:

I'd agree with 9mm.
Nobody seems to have mentioned it yet, but how is the plywood to be
fastened to the floor? It's really important that it doesn't move, or
else it makes an annoying noise when you walk on it, and once the tiles
are on, it can't be fixed.

Yes good point. Last one I did I screwed it on a matrix between 6 and 8"
- making sure the screw heads were all flush with/under the surface.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Trouble is, if I use 22mm with the thickness of the tiles I am worried
about it looking out of place butting against laminate flooring. What
are my options here ?

Use a short piece of chamferred skirting as a joining strip. Chisel to
shape, as needed.

Christian.