Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill

Default wax or spirit based preservative for new shed

hi

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of both types of wood
preservative?

Five years ago, I painted my new untreated redwood shed with Cuprinol
Ducksback wax based wood preservative.

As the years rolled by, I noticed I still needed to re-apply the
preservative each year despite the product's claims.

But more worrying was the shiplapped wood suffered from quite a lot of
shrinkage causing the knots to dry out and drop out, and large gaps
appearing between the boards, especially on the walls exposed directly
to the sun. This got progressively worse as each summer came & went.

Now, it's possible may be the redwood used in the construction of the
shed had far too high a moisture content as it was errected in late
November if I recall and it was a very very wet month for that year.

But I also wonder whether the wax based preservative is contributing to
the wood shrinkage problem too over the years?

I've since moved and just had a new tanalised shed installed.

When I looked in B&Q today, I now notice all Cuprinol and Ronseal wood
preservatives for sheds/fences are now all wax based, but I did manage
to find a small display of spirit based preservatives from those two
companies.

I'm thinking of using spirit based wood preservative this time round.

Was I just unlucky with my previous shed, or is there something I'm not
aware of about these new wax based wood preservatives?

bill

SE England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 1 Mar 2006 09:47:21 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

[...]

I've seen similar effects with these products.

I've since moved and just had a new tanalised shed installed.

When I looked in B&Q today, I now notice all Cuprinol and Ronseal wood
preservatives for sheds/fences are now all wax based, but I did manage
to find a small display of spirit based preservatives from those two
companies.

I'm thinking of using spirit based wood preservative this time round.

I think that that's a very good idea. I always do the same. I have
found the water based waxy products not only to be ineffective but
also to leave a finish like a child's paintbox. Basically, they
completely spoil the appearance of the wood as well as being pretty
useless at the job that they are supposed to do.

Was I just unlucky with my previous shed, or is there something I'm not
aware of about these new wax based wood preservatives?

If you are looking for more choice and better products that are
solvent based, then take a look at Sadolin's range. They also have
some entry level water based products for garden use, but also have
their Classic range of preservatives which are much more substantial
and do more than they say on the tin rather than less.
Sikkens has a similar range.

If you want more of a colour choice, then take a look at Jotun
products. These originate from Norway and essntially you can have
whatever colour you like. Their quality is better than the others but
pricing is around £10 per litre.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Bill wrote:
I've since moved and just had a new tanalised shed installed.

Shouldn't need much treatment. Why can't you se creosote (substitute)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message .com, Bill
writes
hi

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of both types of wood
preservative?

[Snip]
I'm thinking of using spirit based wood preservative this time round.

I have much more faith in the sprit based stuff, and it seems to
penetrate the timber better than the water/wax emulsion stuff. The more
dire warnings on the side of the tin the better in my mind.
Try a trade type place (Builders merchant or timber yard). I've used the
Blackfriar stuff quite a lot. Screwfix 86050 and similar, although I pay
about £11 per 5ltr at a local place.
You may well need a good organic vapour mask if using this stuff more
than 1/2 hour or so. It certainly stinks while drying, and makes me
feel pretty rough for a day two if I get a good lung full.
Screwfix mask 14194 is extremely good, I can't smell this preservative
at all through one on these, and suffer no ill affects afterwards.

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Best stuff I've found is a 50/50 mix of engine oil and either paraffin
or diesel. New oil for clear, or controversially, used oil for dark.
Used this on a softwood construction used to hold damp soil, and the
wood was still perfect years later.

NT

If you don't mind the tacky, dirt attracting surface you get with
non-drying oils, you might as well use vaseline, which is 100%
hydrophobic and solvent free, without the drawbacks of emulsions.