Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

Default wax or spirit based preservative for new shed

In message .com, Bill
writes
hi

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of both types of wood
preservative?

[Snip]
I'm thinking of using spirit based wood preservative this time round.

I have much more faith in the sprit based stuff, and it seems to
penetrate the timber better than the water/wax emulsion stuff. The more
dire warnings on the side of the tin the better in my mind.
Try a trade type place (Builders merchant or timber yard). I've used the
Blackfriar stuff quite a lot. Screwfix 86050 and similar, although I pay
about £11 per 5ltr at a local place.
You may well need a good organic vapour mask if using this stuff more
than 1/2 hour or so. It certainly stinks while drying, and makes me
feel pretty rough for a day two if I get a good lung full.
Screwfix mask 14194 is extremely good, I can't smell this preservative
at all through one on these, and suffer no ill affects afterwards.

--
steve