Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ross

Default Home Heating Assessment

I have a boiler that is a year old, and I cannot get temperatures at
home much above 18c (the old boiler was ok). I asked Potterton back to
inspect the boiler. They tested the temperature, found it ok (80c) and
said that I should keep it permanently on 'Max'.

The rooms are still nowhere near warm enough, even though the rads feel
hot. I have a boilerman in next week to give the first service. I
notice black sludge when bleeding so I am also going to ask him to
flush this out.

Problem is who do I contact to perform a survey on any heating loss.
The energy companies are only interested in selling you insulation. (I
already have loft insulation - not 10 inches though - and I think my
property is too old for cavity insulation (1920) also I believe that
the cavity is there for a purpose ie to prevent condensation).

Who should I contact to test for draughts, measure heat loss, generally
tell me what's wrong (I believe there is a thermal instrument that
they can use to determine problem areas??)

Any advice would be appreciated

Ross