Default Home Heating Source

I am trying to figure out alternate, affordable heating sources for
this winter. Gas prices are up and don't want to pay a fortune to
heat.
Have a fireplace that could be converted to a wood stove. Any
thoughts/opinions on Wood Stove vs. Gas Stove vs. Gas Fireplace vs. any
other options
would be appreciated!
(have found that stove installation would be close to $3k)

Really, waaaaaay too late to have many good options for THIS winter.
You may get lucky.

Some modern gas stoves are quite efficient, and many are really
beautiful. Small thru-wall venting. (I'm thinking Jotul.)

Anything allowing free flow through fireplace is useless for heating.

If the flue is in good shape, there are lots of simple ways to tightly
couple the flue to smokepipe from woodstove. Maybe with sheet-metal
cover over over front of fireplace, or sheet metal fitted to throat up
inside (and "jacked" up against masonry.) Smokepipe attached to welded
ring framing hole. Smokepipe as long as possible (for efficiency), up
to 8', gentlest bends possible.

$3k for stove installation sounds over the top for an existing flue,
unless you're including a stove like a Danish Rais.

HTH,

"twfsa" wrote in message
What about a pellet stove, or a corn stove the fuel is cheap, not much
maintance.

Tom

Cheap is relative. Depends on where you are, but in the Northeast pellets
are in short supply this year, and corn seems non-existant. Otherwise I
agree, and I heat with wood pellets myself. Pellets are at $250/ton even at
Walmart, so maybe I won't worry a lot if I have to use the electric.

Pellets are up mostly due to shipping costs. The only ones I can find
around here (CT) are from western Canada. The US Gov't has imposed a 32%
import tax on softwood products from Canada. That doesn't apply to pellet
prices directly, but it severely impacts the supply of sawdust as raw
material, so the shortage is very real. I see pellets advertised as high as
$6/bag, but that doesn't mean I can find them anywhere. Home Depot, Lowes,
Agway, Walmart ... they're all out and can't say when/if they'll get more.
Our local guy has the western pellets I mentioned, and he's not rationing
them yet. I'll get my four tons this week, and hope that it's neither a
long or severe winter.

Edwin Pawlowski

k wrote:

Pellets are up mostly due to shipping costs. The only ones I can find
around here (CT) are from western Canada.

Try Ct Hardwood Group in Enfield CT. He gets his from Maine. In fact, he
sends his sawdust to the plant for pelletizing.
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

18 Mullen Rd
Enfield, CT 06082
860-253-0444

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Bill

The key to a wood stove is being able to get low cost wood.

Other than that, solar if you have sunshine.

Or a new very efficient natural gas furnace.

If you have plenty of land, maybe a ground source heat pump.

And then you can insulate the heck out of everything, buy new "Energy Star"
appliances, etc. Energy saving info at following link...
http://www.energystar.gov

wrote in message
I am trying to figure out alternate, affordable heating sources for
this winter. Gas prices are up and don't want to pay a fortune to
heat.
Have a fireplace that could be converted to a wood stove. Any
thoughts/opinions on Wood Stove vs. Gas Stove vs. Gas Fireplace vs. any
other options
would be appreciated!
(have found that stove installation would be close to $3k)

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to someone who is a buildier in
the N.East. He said that we should be able to just do a pipe up the
chimney with insulation. I am in the S.East so I am wondering if
there's a lack of knowledge or if these people are just trying to get
the most money out of us that they can. Mostly concerned with heating
cost and electric outages.