Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

Default Fires and Fireplaces..

We have a hole in our fireplace where our old fire and backboiler used to
be. It's been there over six months now (tasetefully covered by a plywood
sheet and a picture of a fire) and you-know-who would like a new gas fire in
there.

At the moment this: http://www.stovax.com/products.htm?cid=2&sid=3&pid=59
looks favourite. Speaking to the manufacturer, the fire surround - the tiled
bit - seems to have been made up from floor tiles, cut accordingly.

Ideally I'd like to buy the fire and get it installed by the guy who
installed our central heating. This would mean getting the surround made up
beforehand.

Now to the questions..

Sticking tiles around the surround is no big deal, but the shelf may be.
Looking at the picture it appears that the same tiles are being used to form
the shelf and I'm wondering what's on the inside. What would you tile over
to form that shelf?

Besides the surround, there's the question of what's inside the fireplace.
The actual opening is set in brick. The sides and top have a wooden batten
around the inside edge. Looking inside I can see that there is thick metal
galavanised grid on top of the batten. the sides of the grid seem to be set
into the brickwork on either side. On top of the grid are bricks (which
don't have mortar between them). Immediately above that appears to be a
single piece concrete 'funnel' that forms the constriction from the
fireplace into the chimney. The old fire and back boiler assembly
essentially had the gas fire outside of the fireplace with the boiler inset
back into the fireplace.

I'm a bit nervous about having the wooden battens in place with a fire
between them (albeit enclosed in it's assembly).
Should I be worried about that?
I'm not sure what the purpose of the battens is - whether it's just to make
the fireplace opening smaller and neater, or it's there to help support the
steel grid at the top of the fireplace. Anyone know?

What else would I most likely need to do ahead of installation (I've not
read the installation guide yet)?

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not installing the fire myself - I'll get the
corgi guy in to do that. I'd like him just to have to hook up to the flue
pipe and gas and slide it straight in if I can manage that. I am not going
to bypass the corgi guy in any way.

If it's all too daunting I might just buy the fire and get it all installed
directly by the retailer. I'm just fishing at the moment!

Thanks,

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
For your shelf, I would consider a piece of polished stone. It could be
set into the wall and not need tiling. Stonemasons now seem set up for
this sort of thing. We recently bought a window ledge for our bathroom
in stone. As the shower is over the bath and takes the water, I wanted
something better than the painted wood. The result looks good, matches
the tiles and is totally waterproof. Not that your fire will get wet -
I hope.

That's an idea. We're still mulling over exactly what we want...

It's the wooden battens that worry me most...

Thanks John.

Paul

Gel fires Matthew Barnard UK diy 22 October 15th 04 06:47 PM
solid fuel fires & tiled hearths tom w UK diy 9 March 31st 04 01:02 AM
Are open fireplaces considered desirable by the average house-buyer? andrewpreece UK diy 10 July 22nd 03 09:21 AM