Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

Default Painting fences

Hi all

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TMC wrote:
So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Creosote substitute, available in 25 litre containers from Wickes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

TMC wrote:
Hi all

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for
treating fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Tony

Golden look? I thought it was bronze meself.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:27:37 +0000 (UTC), "TMC"
wrote:

Hi all

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

You CAN get creosote if you are a fencing contractor. Get some
business cards made up!

Alternatively, I'm told the following works:

"INGREDIENTS

1 Gallon used engine oil
1 Gallon Diesel (Or heating oil)
4 oz granulated sugar
4lbs coal dust*
1 oz golden syrup*

*Optional

METHOD

Mix the engine oil and diesel together in a suitable container. Next
add the sugar slowly and continue to mix.

Add the coal dust and continue to stir. Finally pour in the golden
syrup and mix well.

The coal dust and golden syrup can be omitted if required, however
best results are obtained when these are added. Red diesel can be used
if available."

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Chris Bacon wrote:
TMC wrote:

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Creosote substitute, available in 25 litre containers from Wickes.

I would have thought if he knew enough about creosote to know that it
isn't available, he must have had some advice about an alternative?

It wasn't tung oil perchance? Or caustic soda?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Chris Bacon wrote:
TMC wrote:

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for
treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Creosote substitute, available in 25 litre containers from Wickes.

I would have thought if he knew enough about creosote to know that it
isn't available, he must have had some advice about an alternative?

It wasn't tung oil perchance? Or caustic soda?

Had new fences last year after years of hedges shrubs and leylandi,
remembered from some years back that creosote was not available but haven't
yet looked for alternatives

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

TMC wrote:

It wasn't tung oil perchance? Or caustic soda?

Had new fences last year after years of hedges shrubs and leylandi,
remembered from some years back that creosote was not available but haven't
yet looked for alternatives

I wasn't getting at you. Someone posted on here about fixing a leaking
shed with just about the most expensive varnish you can buy, that some
moron on another forum had recommended.

Some dick heads here thought I was a little hard on him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

TMC wrote:

Had new fences last year after years of hedges shrubs and leylandi,
remembered from some years back that creosote was not available but
haven't yet looked for alternatives

Oddly when clearing out the workshop I found a half full 5 litre can of
creosote that I had no use for. Remembering that it was banned I asked the
guy at the local tip how I should dispose of it. He told me to chuck it in
the general rubbish skip!

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
TMC wrote:
Hi all

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating
fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Creosote substitute, light brown.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Sponix wrote:

"INGREDIENTS

1 Gallon used engine oil
1 Gallon Diesel (Or heating oil)
4 oz granulated sugar
4lbs coal dust*
1 oz golden syrup*

My Uncle Don had a farm in North Devon and he always used a similar mix.
IIRC it was used engine oil & paraffin. He swore by it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sponix wrote:
"INGREDIENTS

1 Gallon used engine oil
1 Gallon Diesel (Or heating oil)
4 oz granulated sugar
4lbs coal dust*
1 oz golden syrup*

My Uncle Don had a farm in North Devon and he always used a similar mix.
IIRC it was used engine oil & paraffin. He swore by it.

Not nice in a garden, though. It stinks forever, never dries,
& contaminates things with most unpleasant compounds.