Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy

Default Ikea desk-lights

I bought 2 Ikea lights which clamp onto a shelf,
and both ceased to work shortly after purchase.

They work at 12 volts, with a transformer in the wall plug.
I guess there is a fuse at the transformer which has gone.
Unfortunately I cannot open the plug to look inside -
the screw/bolt is too deep for any screwdriver I have seen
with the appropriate end (a bit like an Allen key).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:02:39 +0000, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I bought 2 Ikea lights which clamp onto a shelf,
and both ceased to work shortly after purchase.

They work at 12 volts, with a transformer in the wall plug.
I guess there is a fuse at the transformer which has gone.
Unfortunately I cannot open the plug to look inside -
the screw/bolt is too deep for any screwdriver I have seen
with the appropriate end (a bit like an Allen key).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

No but you could drop an email to Ingvar Kamprad and see if he can
help you.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

Timothy Murphy writed in news:ODFIf.6014
:

I bought 2 Ikea lights which clamp onto a shelf,
and both ceased to work shortly after purchase.

They work at 12 volts, with a transformer in the wall plug.
I guess there is a fuse at the transformer which has gone.
Unfortunately I cannot open the plug to look inside -
the screw/bolt is too deep for any screwdriver I have seen
with the appropriate end (a bit like an Allen key).

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes - a few years ago, with heavy (and very hot) plug transformers, with
non-standard plugs on the transformer/wire. On the transformer that
didn't blow, the socket fell apart exposing the contacts.
But, I did like the lights, so I bought spare transformers on the next
punishment visit to Ikea, the newer ones ran cooler, the plastic had more
give, and now I've got a couple of spares - somewhere.....