Dave Plowman

Default high flow combi - AquaPLUS

In article ,
Victoria wrote:
My main question is has anyone had experince of the AuqaPLUS combi and
how well it operates from a 15mm watermain? Also, would the
performance from a Megaflo be signifncalty better?

Surely both makers give flow figures which can be used for comparison
purposes?

Don't forget that high flow combis might well need an upgraded gas main
as well as water.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
David

"Victoria" wrote in message
om...
We live in a 3 bed, 1 bathroom, 1 shower room house and are looking to
upgrade the boiler. There is currently a hot water tank in the
bathroom, cold water tank in the loft and a system boiler in the
kitchen. We've had 2 quotes - one for a high flow storage combi
(Valliant AquaPLUS), and the other for a Megaflo.

My understanding is that with the Megaflo, we'd need to update the
water main (it's 15mm at the moment), however this would give us a
very good supply of mains pressure hot water, although it comes at a
very high price for the whole project.

With the AquaPLUS we wouldn't need to upgrade the water main, although
we'd probably put an electric shower in the shower room as I think a
combi won't be able to run both showers. This is half the price of
the Megaflo project.

My main question is has anyone had experince of the AuqaPLUS combi and
how well it operates from a 15mm watermain? Also, would the
performance from a Megaflo be signifncalty better?

Any comments/advice much appreciated.

I am in exactly your position but already have a good water main. The other
thing that I noticed is on the 837 model you have to have a 28 mm gas main
all the way to the boiler (I have 22mm). Even if you do it won't help if the
gas supply in your area is not good enough. I know a lot of places Transco
have fitted small bore plastic inside the old metal mains to save time and
money but results in a supply that can't cope with the demands of such a
boiler. In many areas the gas supply is not as good as it should be due to
big expansions in housing tagging on to the old system. Transco cheat by
increasing the pressure but that cant help if the pipes are to narrow. It is
like using a hundred tones of pressure to force sand through an egg timer.
It will only go so fast through a small hole

Anyway the boiler will still work but won't reach full potential. Also if
Valliant see you don't have the 28 mm gas supply they won't support you if
there is a problem

David

IMM

"Victoria" wrote in message
[...]

Look at the Worcester HighFlow or Vokera's similar model. Standard washing
machine sized and will fit in a standard kitchen. High flows, doing two
showers and not expensive.

---

Christian McArdle

My understanding is that with the Megaflo, we'd need to update the
water main (it's 15mm at the moment), however this would give us a
very good supply of mains pressure hot water, although it comes at a
very high price for the whole project.

Both systems will be at the mercy of your mains water supply. Both rely on
mains pressure for their flow rates. The Megaflo instructions are just being
a bit more realistic about it than the combi's, as they know that a 15mm
main won't get the full benefit of the system.

However, if the 15mm pipework gives you sufficient flow rate at the mains
fed taps now, then it won't be a problem. You may find it better to run the
main feed to the cylinder in 22mm from the stop cock, though. Then you can
upgrade the water main in the future.

Installing a second electric shower will still run into problems if the
limiting factor is water main flow rate, rather than water heating rate.

Christian.