Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Steamer / kettle (not) PC lead?

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I needed to use my wallpaper stripper / steamer the other day and
found the power lead was missing? ;-(

A quick drive round all the likely places turned up nothing so I
bought a new steamer sigh.

I still need to replace the missing lead but find eBay / the net
littered with what they describe as 'Kettle Leads' that wouldn't fit
*my* kettle (well it boils water g) and if they did they would
probably melt because they are generally 'cold plugs' (the difference
being the 'hot' 'kettle plugs' generally (always?) have a notch
between two of the pins so you can't use a cold (PC) type plug in them
by mistake).

I did think about buying a cheapo kettle just for the lead (I could
put the kettle in my decorating box for brewups g) cbut they are all
hard wired or on power bases these days?

1) Is there a common 'high street' place where I might pick one up
please?

2) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

All the best ..

T i m

Maplins for the "kettle" plug and make a for it.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

T i m expressed precisely :
2) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

I didn't know about the 'notch', but the correct name for them is an
IEC plug.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

It may have started in broadcasting - at least that's where I first heard
it when IECs started replacing XRL LNE mains connectors - and falling out.
;-)

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:11:24 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I needed to use my wallpaper stripper / steamer the other day and
found the power lead was missing? ;-(

A quick drive round all the likely places turned up nothing so I
bought a new steamer sigh.

I still need to replace the missing lead but find eBay / the net
littered with what they describe as 'Kettle Leads' that wouldn't fit
*my* kettle (well it boils water g) and if they did they would
probably melt because they are generally 'cold plugs' (the difference
being the 'hot' 'kettle plugs' generally (always?) have a notch
between two of the pins so you can't use a cold (PC) type plug in them
by mistake).

I did think about buying a cheapo kettle just for the lead (I could
put the kettle in my decorating box for brewups g) cbut they are all
hard wired or on power bases these days?

Kettle leads used to be easy to find in blister packs in supermarkets,
I guess your line above explains why not so now nowadays.

1) Is there a common 'high street' place where I might pick one up
please?

2) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

The correct term is "Hot Condition" line socket (the plug would be the
mating half on the kettle / steamer).

www.rswww.co.uk

Product ID 447-027

Maplin www.maplin.co.uk offer a "Hot Condition Euro Line Socket"
product ID MK20W for £2.13. They have stores all over and will do
mail order online.

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

Guess if it's got the notch then you can depend on it's performance in
hot conditions according to some standard.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:11:24 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I needed to use my wallpaper stripper / steamer the other day and
found the power lead was missing? ;-(

A quick drive round all the likely places turned up nothing so I
bought a new steamer sigh.

I once mislaid my lead, so I went to B&Q (where I'd bought the
stripper) and asked a guy in the relevant section whether I could buy
a replacement. He rummaged around in a little cubby-hole and found a
spare lead (from a faulty stripper), and gave it me FOC !

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:25:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

It may have started in broadcasting - at least that's where I first heard
it when IECs started replacing XRL LNE mains connectors - and falling out.
;-)

Ah, I used to work with kit (and would sometimes add to our servers
etc) a clipped version of the socket that stopped the plug falling out
... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:16:54 GMT, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

T i m expressed precisely :
2) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

I didn't know about the 'notch', but the correct name for them is an
IEC plug.

I think both (kettle and PC) carry the IEC bit Harry, if this is
anything to go by?

http://www.leadsdirect.f9.co.uk/iec.htm

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:10:32 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Maplins for the "kettle" plug and make a for it.

I did see that but the pic wasn't clear enough to be sure?

Cheers though ..

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Maplins for the "kettle" plug and make a for it.

I did see that but the pic wasn't clear enough to be sure?

Cheers though ..

All the best ..

T i m

It doesn't have the groove if thats any help.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:54:10 +0000, Derek ^
wrote:

I did think about buying a cheapo kettle just for the lead (I could
put the kettle in my decorating box for brewups g) cbut they are all
hard wired or on power bases these days?

Kettle leads used to be easy to find in blister packs in supermarkets,
I guess your line above explains why not so now nowadays.

Yeah, I swore I saw such too .. ;-(

1) Is there a common 'high street' place where I might pick one up
please?

www.rswww.co.uk

Product ID 447-027

Thanks for that. The 'problem' with mail order is by the time I've
bought the cable Plus Vat n P&P I'm not far short of a new steamer ..
?
Maplin www.maplin.co.uk offer a "Hot Condition Euro Line Socket"
product ID MK20W for £2.13. They have stores all over and will do
mail order online.

Nothing 'local' to me though though, and you know how easy is is on
there to get to the free postage valye .. sigh ;-)

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

Guess if it's got the notch then you can depend on it's performance in
hot conditions according to some standard.

I believe so. I *think* you can use the notched ones in the non noched
sockets so they would be more versatile?

All the best .. and thanks for the links etc

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:23:30 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:11:24 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I needed to use my wallpaper stripper / steamer the other day and
found the power lead was missing? ;-(

A quick drive round all the likely places turned up nothing so I
bought a new steamer sigh.

I once mislaid my lead, so I went to B&Q (where I'd bought the
stripper) and asked a guy in the relevant section whether I could buy
a replacement. He rummaged around in a little cubby-hole and found a
spare lead (from a faulty stripper), and gave it me FOC !

Result! .. And you *can* sometimes get help like that.

I believe 'officially' he shouldn't let you have it as any returns /
ex display stuff have to 'go back' or be tested before they can sell
them again (rules, shrug) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

T i m wrote :
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:16:54 GMT, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

T i m expressed precisely :
2) How did the missuse of the term 'Kettle lead' come about? (when I
first saw both I realised there was a difference and guessed for a
good reason)?

Or maybe you can get 'hot', non notched plugs?

I didn't know about the 'notch', but the correct name for them is an
IEC plug.

I think both (kettle and PC) carry the IEC bit Harry, if this is
anything to go by?

http://www.leadsdirect.f9.co.uk/iec.htm

All the best ..

T i m

The plug and the socket are both called IEC and so far as I am aware,
the kettle version is identical/interchangeable with the PC version -
other than the length of lead and the 13amp plug fuse rating.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:39:12 GMT, T i m wrote:

Ah, I used to work with kit (and would sometimes add to our servers
etc) a clipped version of the socket that stopped the plug falling out
... ;-)

Yeah thats fine for a bit of kit that is installed, left alone for a
while, decomissioned and removed. But the stuff Dave and I am talking
about would be chucked in flight case (or cardboard box), used for a few
hours, bunged back in the box, thrown in the back of a wagon driven
around a bit, used again somewhere else for a few hours and so on. The
fiddly bit of wire wasn't strong enough to survive this stort of
treatment long and tended to need a socket designed for it not a random
one pulled from the box of 50 others in the back of the truck.

Then of course there are all the ones stuffed up the back of racks of kit
that vibrate out during transit... IEC, PITA, don't like 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The plug and the socket are both called IEC and so far as I am aware,
the kettle version is identical/interchangeable with the PC version -
other than the length of lead and the 13amp plug fuse rating.

'Hot' condition IEC are rated at 10 amps. IEC line sockets may be 6.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The plug and the socket are both called IEC and so far as I am aware,
the kettle version is identical/interchangeable with the PC version -
other than the length of lead and the 13amp plug fuse rating.

Er... No.

An IEC lead intended for a PC won't fit into a kettle. The on-kettle
receptacle has a lump of plastic in the way - and requires the IEC
kettle lead variant which is notched.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The plug and the socket are both called IEC and so far as I am aware,
the kettle version is identical/interchangeable with the PC version -
other than the length of lead and the 13amp plug fuse rating.

Sort of... and IEC HOT (with notch) femail connector (for that is
actually the sex of what most people call the "plug") will fit into
either a HOT or COLD "socket". The reverse is not true.

(which all make sense when you think about it - you kettle lead will
power your PC without risk but not the other way around)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

John Rumm used his keyboard to write :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The plug and the socket are both called IEC and so far as I am aware, the
kettle version is identical/interchangeable with the PC version - other
than the length of lead and the 13amp plug fuse rating.

Sort of... and IEC HOT (with notch) femail connector (for that is actually
the sex of what most people call the "plug") will fit into either a HOT or
COLD "socket". The reverse is not true.

(which all make sense when you think about it - you kettle lead will power
your PC without risk but not the other way around)

In that case, I stand corrected. I don't have an older type kettle with
which I could check for the notch, but I do remember being able to use
kettle leads with PC's in emergencies.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:39:12 GMT, T i m wrote:

Ah, I used to work with kit (and would sometimes add to our servers
etc) a clipped version of the socket that stopped the plug falling out

Those clips are rubbish - if you're lugging the kit around, then they
catch on things and bend. They don't fall off, they get pulled off
because they're mis-shapen and now in the way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
In that case, I stand corrected. I don't have an older type kettle with
which I could check for the notch, but I do remember being able to use
kettle leads with PC's in emergencies.

Yes, It *does* work that way round - but not neccesarily the other (PC
lead into a kettle). Have a look next time you are out shopping...

:-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi
there are various IEC sockets and plugs which allow different amp
ratings..
Sockets (female, the one on the cable are C3,C5,C7,C13,C15 (the one the
the notch) and C19 the retangular one.
The plugs (male) on the equipmnet are C4,C6,C8,C4,C16 (the notch) and
C20
I have posted a detailed drawing on my site at
www.flight-cases.net/iec

which i hope will solve all your problems. The company Bulgin make
versions of these that you can wire yourself .

hope this helps and ( a quick plug) if you ever need flight cases
please just look at my normal site http://www.flight-cases.net
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It me again - can i post pictures direct to here instead of having to
put them on my website ?? - if so how

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:30:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:39:12 GMT, T i m wrote:

Ah, I used to work with kit (and would sometimes add to our servers
etc) a clipped version of the socket that stopped the plug falling out
... ;-)

Yeah thats fine for a bit of kit that is installed, left alone for a
while, decomissioned and removed. But the stuff Dave and I am talking
about would be chucked in flight case (or cardboard box), used for a few
hours, bunged back in the box, thrown in the back of a wagon driven
around a bit, used again somewhere else for a few hours and so on.

Hmmm,, they lasted on 3 disco amps, console and varios light
sequencers ok .. maybe it depends who is moving the stuff about ;-)

The
fiddly bit of wire wasn't strong enough to survive this stort of
treatment long and tended to need a socket designed for it not a random
one pulled from the box of 50 others in the back of the truck.

You could use a 'std' socket without the cilp though couldn't you (so
no worse off)?

Then of course there are all the ones stuffed up the back of racks of kit
that vibrate out during transit...

Ah, they were the ones that should of been the clipped type then (with
a cable tie round the lot to stop the clip coming undone) ;-)

IEC, PITA, don't like 'em.

LOL

I suppose if yer kit is hard wired, someone else can't unpower *your*
kit to power theirs eh (well, only at the 13A plug top) ;-(

Assuming yer hard wired lead would reach in the first place that is
(and I know you are talking XLR here) .. "I have a long IEC lead
here if you wan't it ..?" .. doh!

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:05:23 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:39:12 GMT, T i m wrote:

Ah, I used to work with kit (and would sometimes add to our servers
etc) a clipped version of the socket that stopped the plug falling out

Those clips are rubbish - if you're lugging the kit around, then they
catch on things and bend.

Like that mains lead you know you should stop and collect up .. now
if you *wanted* to tie a perfect bowline round a door handle as you
walked past with an arm full of gear do you think you could do it ...
?

They don't fall off, they get pulled off
because they're mis-shapen and now in the way.

Like old Centronics printer / SCSI retainers ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I was watching a guy fit a suspended platerboard ceiling the
other day and he was using a pair of those stilts that are fashionable
these days.

I noticed he slipped his DeWalt drill / driver into a holster on the
back of his belt when he needed two hands free and I asked him if he
had ever 'missed' the holster and chucked the drill on the floor?

He said "plenty of times but never when there weren't a few people
watching" .. lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

'Hot' condition IEC are rated at 10 amps. IEC line sockets may be 6.

The operative word there being "may." The cold condition connectors
were originally rated at 6 amps, but this was upped to 10 A quite a long
time ago now (early 90s, IIRC). So only old cordsets[*] will be 6 A
rating (these have/had 0.75mm^2 flex, whereas 10 A ones have 1.0 mm^2).

[*] Thunderbird's spell chequer suggests that the word "corsets" should
be used here :~)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
'Hot' condition IEC are rated at 10 amps. IEC line sockets may be 6.

The operative word there being "may." The cold condition connectors
were originally rated at 6 amps, but this was upped to 10 A quite a long
time ago now (early 90s, IIRC). So only old cordsets[*] will be 6 A
rating (these have/had 0.75mm^2 flex, whereas 10 A ones have 1.0 mm^2).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=1493&doy=12m2

and

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=1176&doy=12m2

It might be difficult to guess what size mains cable is used if moulded
plugs, so better safe than sorry.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=1493&doy=12m2
and
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=1176&doy=12m2

Out-of-date information is frequently found in distributors' catalogues,
as here. TTBOMK the standard (IEC 60320) requires the connectors (C13 &
C14) to have 10 A rating. Obviously with a rewireable plug you could
make up a 500 mA rated cordset with bell wire if you so choose...

I found http://www.enlightenment.co.uk/frames/ref/ref-iec.htm, which is
a useful summary table of all the types and their rating.

It might be difficult to guess what size mains cable is used if moulded
plugs, so better safe than sorry.

It's often embossed on the cable jacket along with the HAR markings.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Power Cord UK Plug to HOT IEC Cable (Kettle Lead) C15 2m with kotch

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ad-328957-.htm

Lead part - cast or turn? tillius Metalworking 53 November 10th 05 09:22 AM
Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 08:15 AM
Living without air conditioning. Gunluvver2 Metalworking 141 August 6th 04 05:30 AM
Lead-Loc and Gas pipes tom w UK diy 29 June 16th 04 11:10 PM
Lead to copper fitting Andrew Mawson UK diy 0 May 10th 04 05:26 PM