Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian H

Default Oil boiler flues

I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety. I understand that modern boilers have much
lower flue gas temperatures, and the current flue is 4inch cast iron up
to a soot door (which is about 8ft above the boiler room floor) in a
brick chimney which is lined with glazed pipe. There is no chimney
terminal.

The question is: Do I need a stainless liner and flue terminal? Does
the liner have to be straight through to the boiler or do you still
have the soot door etc.?

I will get an OFTEC chap to Part L the installation at the end

Thanks

Ian H, Cambridge

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com, Ian
H writes
I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety.

Sorry, but you're almost a year too late

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

raden wrote:

I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety.

Sorry, but you're almost a year too late

I thought oil burners did not have to go condensing until a couple of
years after gas??? (then again maybe they have passed and I missed em!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

"Ian H" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety. I understand that modern boilers have much
lower flue gas temperatures, and the current flue is 4inch cast iron up
to a soot door (which is about 8ft above the boiler room floor) in a
brick chimney which is lined with glazed pipe. There is no chimney
terminal.

The question is: Do I need a stainless liner and flue terminal? Does
the liner have to be straight through to the boiler or do you still
have the soot door etc.?

I would suggest asking manufacturers to provide installation manuals. You can
normally get these without actually buying the boiler.

Also see: http://www.oftec.co.uk/index.htm

I have a stainless steel liner, which I can see if I open my soot door. There
is no provision for cleaning the inside of the lining.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
raden wrote:

I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety.

Sorry, but you're almost a year too late

I thought oil burners did not have to go condensing until a couple of
years after gas??? (then again maybe they have passed and I missed em!)

Nah - it was me not paying attention

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Ian H" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an 25yr old boiler and will upgrade to a new one before I have
to get a condensing variety. I understand that modern boilers have much
lower flue gas temperatures, and the current flue is 4inch cast iron up
to a soot door (which is about 8ft above the boiler room floor) in a
brick chimney which is lined with glazed pipe. There is no chimney
terminal.

The question is: Do I need a stainless liner and flue terminal? Does
the liner have to be straight through to the boiler or do you still
have the soot door etc.?

YES I have had to retrofit liners after plumbers have simply gone ahead and
put a modern boiler below an old flue. The water vapour condenses and leaks
everywhere. It also rots the new boiler

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM