Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

Default Camera tripod bush

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

TIA -

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:57:40 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.

Officially Whitworth, but it really doesn't matter. You're only talking
about 5° difference on the thread flank and I doubt if many of these
threads are cut to that level of accuracy.

Leftpondian hardware dealers (I use Lee Valley) are full of 1/4 UNC
hardware, including screw-in bushes and tee nuts. These work fine for me
with camera hardware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

I'm pretty sure it's UNC.

From memory a gutter bolt fits.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Frank Erskine wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

TIA -

I *think* it's Whitworth - but if you use UNC instead it ain't going to
matter too much!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

Thanks for the replies.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:27:20 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

Whitworth

Says UNC he

http://www.pixcellent.com/head_seln_01.html

Just a guess but maybe Britain used Whitworth and Japan used UNC?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

." wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

Whitworth

Says UNC he

http://www.pixcellent.com/head_seln_01.html

Just a guess but maybe Britain used Whitworth and Japan used UNC?

Some sites seem adamant that it's BSW; others insist on it being UNC.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

." wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod

is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the

thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

Whitworth

Says UNC he

http://www.pixcellent.com/head_seln_01.html

Just a guess but maybe Britain used Whitworth and Japan used UNC?

Some sites seem adamant that it's BSW; others insist on it being

UNC.

:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

If you consider how long this has been a camera standard (ie well
before the 2nd World War) then it is most likely to be Whitworth.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

But UNC works for most jobs and is much easier to get hold of.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

But UNC works for most jobs and is much easier to get hold of.

I'm not so sure. Near everything is metric these days. And UNC was never
as common as UNF on cars.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:48:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:
I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

But UNC works for most jobs and is much easier to get hold of.

I'm not so sure. Near everything is metric these days. And UNC was never
as common as UNF on cars.

Well, I have ¼" BSW taps and a die, so I'll stick with them to make
bits for a copying stand for the camera.

Thanks for all the comments.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

But UNC works for most jobs and is much easier to get hold of.

I'm not so sure. Near everything is metric these days. And UNC was never
as common as UNF on cars.

The yanks use 1/4"-20 quit a bit and it's used on optical kit - very
easy to get hold of for me. RS do boxes of UNC screws, but only studs
in BSW.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but a related question: When you get a
3/8" tripod thread (e.g. manfrotto) what's the tpi/threadform?

Chris
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith \(Dorset\)

I didn't see the original post on this subject, however for 35mm cameras,
and at least some of the old (120) folding cameras, it has been 1/4 inch
Whitworth for decades.

There was / is a larger size in use - of a broader diameter, for use with
heavier gear (medium and large format).

(been a photog. since late 1970s)

Hope that helps.

Keith

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
k...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:

I'm trying to find out whether the ¼" bush for a camera tripod is a
Whitworth or a UNC thread - both are 20 tpi, but of course the thread
form is different.
Any ideas please?

It's Whitworth. Dates back to before Unified.

But UNC works for most jobs and is much easier to get hold of.

I'm not so sure. Near everything is metric these days. And UNC was never
as common as UNF on cars.

The yanks use 1/4"-20 quit a bit and it's used on optical kit - very easy
to get hold of for me. RS do boxes of UNC screws, but only studs in BSW.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
I didn't see the original post on this subject, however for 35mm

cameras,
and at least some of the old (120) folding cameras, it has been 1/4

inch
Whitworth for decades.

There was / is a larger size in use - of a broader diameter, for use

with
heavier gear (medium and large format).

(been a photog. since late 1970s)

Hope that helps.

Keith

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
k...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:

[...]

And the bigger standard is also Whitworth but 3/8"

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

And the bigger standard is also Whitworth but 3/8"

Thanks Andrew, just what I needed to know!

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
I didn't see the original post on this subject, however for 35mm cameras,
and at least some of the old (120) folding cameras, it has been 1/4 inch
Whitworth for decades.

There was / is a larger size in use - of a broader diameter, for use with
heavier gear (medium and large format).

Manfrotto use this to attach heads to tripods on their high-spec tripods
- hence the reason for the question. You're right, 1/4" whit is much
more common - it's even used on some webcams!

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:
Manfrotto use this to attach heads to tripods on their high-spec tripods
- hence the reason for the question. You're right, 1/4" whit is much
more common - it's even used on some webcams!

It's the bog standard fitting for microphones, cameras and lights that use
tripods, etc.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *