Brian Sharrock

Default Tripod Attachment to mount camera

I have a laser leveller which came with a tripod ...
I also have a camera ...
the tripod's device mounting bolt is the wrong size for the camera.

Does anybody know of any outfit that might sell an adaptor tripod-to-camera?
[I've tried to Google and even tried talking to a 'yoof' in Jessops withj no
joy]
There seems to be a plethora of adjustable 'heads' for panning, tilting et
al,
cameras - but these all seem to attach on to a 'standard' camera bolt.

The tripod has a shiny 'bolt' which when unscrewed appears to be
an 18mm o.d. fine threaded attachment to the tripod's vertical tube.
On top of this bolt is a stub which appears to be 15mm o.d. with a
coarse thread - [the laser leveller's plate screw onto this].
The camera screws onto a standard(?) 1/4"(6mm0 bolt ... at least
it accepted a M&S mini tripod without problem.

I need to know - or phrase a question that camera shop folks can answer-
how do I utilise the tripod (that I've got) with a camera?

Any help will be appreciated ... I can't be the first to have this 'problem'
can I?

--

Brian

dennis@home

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

I need to know - or phrase a question that camera shop folks can answer-
how do I utilise the tripod (that I've got) with a camera?

Any help will be appreciated ... I can't be the first to have this
'problem'
can I?

Unless you have a lathe or know someone who can turn and thread an adapter
then it will be cheaper to buy a tripod.
They start at about £12.

Photographic tripods will be a light lighter to carry about too.

*If* you can find a tube with the correct thread you may be able to araldite
a 1/4" whitworth bolt into it to take a ball and socket head.

Brian Sharrock wrote:
I have a laser leveller which came with a tripod ...
I also have a camera ...
the tripod's device mounting bolt is the wrong size for the camera.

Does anybody know of any outfit that might sell an adaptor tripod-to-camera?
[I've tried to Google and even tried talking to a 'yoof' in Jessops withj no
joy]
There seems to be a plethora of adjustable 'heads' for panning, tilting et
al,
cameras - but these all seem to attach on to a 'standard' camera bolt.

They would, it's a standard for cameras.

I need to know - or phrase a question that camera shop folks can answer-
how do I utilise the tripod (that I've got) with a camera?

What makes you think the camera shop staff don't understand? Was the
tripod intended to be used with a camera? Maybe you should ask in the
shop that sold you the laser leveller with tripod. You'll probably have
to make your own adapter.

MBQ

Set Square

Brian Sharrock wrote:

[...]

Well, this *is* a DIY group - how about making something?

Get hold of a short length of 50mm square steel or aluminium tubing - a
couple of inches will do. Drill a clearance hole for the 15mm stub in the
middle of one face, and find a nut to fit it. Drill a clearance hole for a
6mm bolt (or 1/4" whitworth - or whatever a camera thread is) in the
opposite face, and find a suitable bolt to pass up through the hole into the
camera.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Stuart Noble

dennis@home wrote:
"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

I need to know - or phrase a question that camera shop folks can answer-
how do I utilise the tripod (that I've got) with a camera?

Any help will be appreciated ... I can't be the first to have this
'problem'
can I?

Unless you have a lathe or know someone who can turn and thread an adapter
then it will be cheaper to buy a tripod.
They start at about £12.

Photographic tripods will be a light lighter to carry about too.

*If* you can find a tube with the correct thread you may be able to araldite
a 1/4" whitworth bolt into it to take a ball and socket head.

I'm sure you could araldite any combination of nuts and bolts into a
section of copper tube to give you the connections you need. The length
of thread might be the difficult bit.
I have 1/4" bolts on the end of various bits of wood. Useful for macro work

Peter Parry

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:17:04 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

The tripod has a shiny 'bolt' which when unscrewed appears to be
an 18mm o.d. fine threaded attachment to the tripod's vertical tube.
On top of this bolt is a stub which appears to be 15mm o.d. with a
coarse thread - [the laser leveller's plate screw onto this].

The "15mm stub" is probably a 5/8" 11 tpi (threads per inch) thread,
a standard tribrach or theodolite fitting.

The camera screws onto a standard(?) 1/4"(6mm0 bolt ... at least
it accepted a M&S mini tripod without problem.

That is a 1/4" x 20tpi (1/4" Whitworth) standard camera fitting.

You might be best looking in a survey supplies shop for an adapter
although any local engineering firm should be able to manufacture one
for you (or a local Model Engineering Society member - in exchange
for a few drinking vouchers).

I need to know - or phrase a question that camera shop folks can answer-
how do I utilise the tripod (that I've got) with a camera?

Any help will be appreciated ... I can't be the first to have this 'problem'
can I?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Brian Sharrock

wrote:

The tripod has a shiny 'bolt' which when unscrewed appears to be
an 18mm o.d. fine threaded attachment to the tripod's vertical tube.
On top of this bolt is a stub which appears to be 15mm o.d. with a
coarse thread - [the laser leveller's plate screw onto this].

The "15mm stub" is probably a 5/8" 11 tpi (threads per inch) thread,
a standard tribrach or theodolite fitting.

The camera screws onto a standard(?) 1/4"(6mm0 bolt ... at least
it accepted a M&S mini tripod without problem.

That is a 1/4" x 20tpi (1/4" Whitworth) standard camera fitting.

You might be best looking in a survey supplies shop for an adapter
although any local engineering firm should be able to manufacture one
for you (or a local Model Engineering Society member - in exchange
for a few drinking vouchers).

Thanks for your reply ...

--

Brian