Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Toilet Trouble

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like
a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing, used
caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like
a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

snip
Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/ have waterproof cameras.
Some are quite small, and relatively cheap, and could be deployed to the
final frontier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like
a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing, used
caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

Sounds like a blockage. One of our anklebiters went through a brief phase
of dropping loo rolls down the pan. They got around the bend then lodged
inthe pipework and swelled up.

The best tool I've found for dealing with these things is a 'toilet augur'
which you can sometimes get from big B&Qs but I haven't seen elsewhere,
even proper plumbers' merchants (though maybe that's because I haven't
looked properly or asked). They're a spring about 10mm dia inside a
plastic tube which is bent at the end. You withdraw the spring within the
tube, push the tube down and partway round the bend, push the spring
through it and twist it with a handle at the clean end. This usually
breaks up any blockage pronto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't assume it is a blockage near the pan - does the water level rise more
if it is flushed soon after a previous flush? Is so it may be close - what
is the pipe run like? Is there a long almost horizontal section?

You could try pushing a hosepipe down and blasting water down. It might save
you buying something that may not be long enough.

Good luck.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

John wrote:

Don't assume it is a blockage near the pan - does the water level
rise more if it is flushed soon after a previous flush? If so it may
be close - what is the pipe run like? Is there a long almost
horizontal section?

Hmmm! Got me thinking. It does seem to happen gradually.

The soil pipe leaves the trap turns 90 degrees and immediately goes down
below the flooboards, then is horizontal under the floor for about 2' before
exiting through the wall and into the soil pipe.

You could try pushing a hosepipe down and blasting water down. It
might save you buying something that may not be long enough.

I've got some rods and have an access point fairly near the stack - I might
try that.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

The soil pipe leaves the trap turns 90 degrees and immediately goes down
below the flooboards, then is horizontal under the floor for about 2' before
exiting through the wall and into the soil pipe

I don't suppose your arm will rech the horizontal section then. Surely this
is the most likely place for a problem - or any 90degree bends.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:00:43 GMT, "John"
wrote:

Don't assume it is a blockage near the pan - does the water level rise more
if it is flushed soon after a previous flush? Is so it may be close - what
is the pipe run like? Is there a long almost horizontal section?

You could try pushing a hosepipe down and blasting water down. It might save
you buying something that may not be long enough.

But be sure to stand well clear as you blast the water.... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

John Stumbles wrote:

The best tool I've found for dealing with these things is a 'toilet
augur' which you can sometimes get from big B&Qs but I haven't seen
elsewhere, even proper plumbers' merchants (though maybe that's
because I haven't looked properly or asked). They're a spring about
10mm dia inside a plastic tube which is bent at the end. You withdraw
the spring within the tube, push the tube down and partway round the
bend, push the spring through it and twist it with a handle at the
clean end. This usually breaks up any blockage pronto.

I got one of they - refered to as "my springy thing" and it hasn't yet
shifted it.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:12:41 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

The best tool I've found for dealing with these things is a 'toilet
augur' which you can sometimes get from big B&Qs but I haven't seen
elsewhere, even proper plumbers' merchants (though maybe that's
because I haven't looked properly or asked). They're a spring about
10mm dia inside a plastic tube which is bent at the end. You withdraw
the spring within the tube, push the tube down and partway round the
bend, push the spring through it and twist it with a handle at the
clean end. This usually breaks up any blockage pronto.

I got one of they - refered to as "my springy thing" and it hasn't yet
shifted it.

Dave

Pressure washer?

Make a suitably angled swan neck shaped thingy to go on the end of the
lance.

Jet of water is directed towards the blockage.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:37:16 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but what do you do to the toilet? :-)

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

Just shove your hand down, and see whether you can feel
anything!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Chris Bacon wrote:

Just shove your hand down, and see whether you can feel
anything!

I've got a better idea Chris, why don't you .......................

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Just shove your hand down, and see whether you can feel
anything!

I've got a better idea Chris, why don't you .......................

I would, if you paid me for the job... it's not that bad,
you could always shove some disinfectant down first if
you're squeamish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:15:44 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

Just shove your hand down, and see whether you can feel
anything!

That explains the dirt under your fingernails then..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DaveWu

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like
a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing, used
caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?You˘ve got a blockage

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

You˘ve got a blockage
Get a handyman in

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

DaveWu wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when
flushed the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for
the cistern to fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the
last bit sounding like a siphon. No difference whether its number 1
or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing,
used caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?You˘ve got a blockage

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

You˘ve got a blockage
Get a handyman in

He is, he's running a handyman service. lol ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:25:04 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

DaveWu wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when
flushed the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for
the cistern to fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the
last bit sounding like a siphon. No difference whether its number 1
or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing,
used caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?You˘ve got a blockage

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

You˘ve got a blockage
Get a handyman in

He is, he's running a handyman service. lol ;-)

No **** Sherlock

Pay peanuts get monkeys

Or handypeople
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

DaveWu wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when
flushed the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for
the cistern to fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the
last bit sounding like a siphon. No difference whether its number
1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing,
used caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she
has flushed something like a toy down there?You˘ve got a blockage

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

You˘ve got a blockage
Get a handyman in

He is, he's running a handyman service. lol ;-)

No **** Sherlock

Pay peanuts get monkeys

Or handypeople

No **** Holmes!

Sometimes you can pay broosters and get apes.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"DaveWu" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:35:02 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding
like
a siphon. No difference whether its number 1 or 2.

Then it's fine for a few days. Checked the usual culprits (swimbo,
daughter) and its not them. Prodded around with my springy thing, used
caustic soda.

One possibility is my three year old granddaughter - possibly she has
flushed something like a toy down there?You˘ve got a blockage

Any ideas before I don the extra length marigolds?

You˘ve got a blockage
Get a handyman in

The problem may not be close to the toilet at all. Our downstairs WC suffers
this problem sometimes (twice in four years so hardly a panic situation). On
each occasion the actual cause has been a blockage further down along a
shared drain (bloody flush and wipe down cloths from neighbours)
Whereas the other WCs in our house have stench pipes this particular one
discharges into an unvented soil pipe running underground into a manhole.
When the manhole fills up it creates a water seal to the discharge pipe and
the bowl fills up then slowly goes down.
Check the pipe configuration and if the drains are backed up before diving
in

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people assume
the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total pipe is many
yards long?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:
I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people
assume the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total
pipe is many yards long?

John

This is true, as I found my blockage was near to the exit of the pipe in
backyard.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:20:22 GMT, "John" wrote:

|I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people assume
|the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total pipe is many
|yards long?

Because IMO blockages *usually* occur at the first bend or constriction in
the pipe. Think about it.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:20:22 GMT, "John" wrote:

|I am surprised by the diagnostic ability of the group. Why do people
assume
|the blockage will be in hand reaching distance when the total pipe is
many
|yards long?

Because IMO blockages *usually* occur at the first bend or constriction in
the pipe. Think about it.
--

But the first bend has the benefit of being very smooth china and slippery
where as Cast Iron .............or cracked earthenware.......

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2006 11:35 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Funny things happening with our toilet. Every now and then, when flushed
the water level rises to the rim. In the time it takes for the cistern to
fill, the level drops back to lower than normal, the last bit sounding like
a siphon.

From the earlier 'Half-full/half-empty kind of issue' thread:

'The level in our downstairs toilet took to falling to normal when
flushed with a slow rise to a little above normal over the following
minutes. All in slow motion (sorry, couldn't resist!).

The manhole outside, some 4 feet deep, was full almost to the top with
'stuff' of quite a viscous consistency. The 'slurp' as it went was quite
satisfying.

You may wish to investigate with this in mind whilst holding a long pole
and with the wind to your back!'