Posted to uk.d-i-y
Zoinks

Default Plastering a corner

Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing
the spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY enthusiast
rather than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the plaster all along an
outside corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

Craig.

--
-----------
Zoinks !
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Zoinks wrote:
Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing
the spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY
enthusiast rather than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the
plaster all along an outside corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

Craig.

easiest:

galvanised metal corner beading, fixed with plaster of paris to the
brick, plaster up with onecoat from wickes (excellent stuff)

I don't use the plastic corner beading, I find it too flexible

traditional:

knock wooden wedges into the mortar gap on the corner of the wall,
nail a wooden corner bead to the wedges, then plaster up either in
the trad manner or with one coat from wickes (excellent stuff)

I've successfully used 'sticks like sh1t' type adhesive in place
of the wooden wedge / nail combination.

you could also use a wooden board nailed to one wall face to make an
edge to plaster up to, then plaster up to the first straight edge and finish
with metal edging tape but you'd have to skim over the tape. it's fiddly.

personally, I'd go for option 1

HtH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell

"Zoinks" wrote in message

Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing the
spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY enthusiast rather
than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the plaster all along an outside
corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

Corner trowel set for £3.13
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/46081.jpg

Or a quality one for £9.99
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...1 1&ts=63521#

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
"Zoinks" wrote in message

Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing the
spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY enthusiast
rather than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the plaster all along an
outside corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

Corner trowel set for £3.13
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/46081.jpg

Or a quality one for £9.99
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...1 1&ts=63521#

Oops never read the "outside corner" bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Zoinks

Fantastic, thanks.

Craig.

--
-----------
Zoinks !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Zoinks wrote:

Fantastic, thanks.

Craig.

hahahahhaha.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Zoinks wrote:
Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing
the spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY enthusiast
rather than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the plaster all along an
outside corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

DIY it, it's easily within your capabilities. Is the plaster
lime, gypsum, or render?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Zoinks wrote:
Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard and removing
the spiders-web of battens, I find that the installer (a DIY
enthusiast rather than expert) has rammed 4" nails through the
plaster all along an outside corner of the wall on the chimney breast.
The plaster is, of course, knackered all down the corner and about 6"
either side. The main wall over the chimney breast is pretty good and
doesn't need touching, the plaster is fine everywhere else.

I'm no plasterer but the job seems too small and tricky for a
professional. Any thoughts ?

Craig.

Cant be a pro if its too tricky for him. ;-) a local handyman will sort it
if you are not capable.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Zoinks wrote:
Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard

What was it about the 1970's and houses? Wood effect hardboard, polystyrene
ceiling tiles, stone cladding, pink/yellow patio slabs. imitation leaded
light windows, formica?

What was that all about? Were we all on drugs or something?

Actually we might well have been......

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Zoinks wrote:
Having stripped some lovely 1970's wood-effect hardboard

What was it about the 1970's and houses? Wood effect hardboard, polystyrene
ceiling tiles, stone cladding, pink/yellow patio slabs. imitation leaded
light windows, formica?

They were all new (except formica).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Fitting kitchen corner unit mjbarnard UK diy 2 December 1st 05 11:38 PM
corner shower stalls Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 11 August 26th 05 06:56 PM
corner bond Paul Andrews UK diy 3 July 31st 05 11:30 PM
Drywalling?! Painting & Plastering!?? Jacob Moore Home Repair 2 May 6th 05 11:00 PM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM