Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with Glow-worm boiler

My boiler, a Glow-worm space saver F, has stopped working. Its normal
sequence of operation when starting up is that the flue extractor fan
starts running, then a spark electrode lights a pilot light which then
lights the main burner. However, now all that happens when you switch
it on is a clunk and a faint whirring sound (I'm not sure if this is
coming from the boiler itself or just water circulating from the water
pump). There doesn't seem to be any air blowing out from the flue and
there is no sparking at the pilot light. Does anyone here have any idea
what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

My boiler, a Glow-worm space saver F, has stopped working. Its normal
sequence of operation when starting up is that the flue extractor fan
starts running, then a spark electrode lights a pilot light which then
lights the main burner. However, now all that happens when you switch
it on is a clunk and a faint whirring sound (I'm not sure if this is
coming from the boiler itself or just water circulating from the water
pump). There doesn't seem to be any air blowing out from the flue and
there is no sparking at the pilot light. Does anyone here have any idea
what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

Well, you say the first element in the sequence is the fan starting. There
will be various fail-safe mechanisms that abort the lighting sequence if the
fan fails.

So perhaps the fan is not starting for a reason. Either it is broken, or the
cable to it is, or the PCB is knackered.

There may be other failsafe devices, too. Perhaps the first step is really
to start the water flow and only to proceed when flow is detected. I don't
know enough about the boiler. Hopefully Ed Sirrett or raden will be along
soon with the actual sequence or most likely failure mode for this boiler.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If the fan doesn't get up to speed, the air pressure switch won't click over
and nothing else will work. you could try lubricating the fan assembly,
else replace it. If the fan is getting up to speed, your air pressure
switch may be faulty.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:05:32 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

I've only met a couple of these boilers. However if the fan is not running
then the acid test is to see if it's getting any power.

I have no reason to doubt raden's belief that these boilers have
troublesome fans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
My boiler, a Glow-worm space saver F, has stopped working. Its normal
sequence of operation when starting up is that the flue extractor fan
starts running, then a spark electrode lights a pilot light which then
lights the main burner. However, now all that happens when you switch
it on is a clunk and a faint whirring sound (I'm not sure if this is
coming from the boiler itself or just water circulating from the water
pump). There doesn't seem to be any air blowing out from the flue and
there is no sparking at the pilot light. Does anyone here have any idea
what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

The clunk could te easily be the fan having failed bearings and instead of
spinning the magnetic field drags the rotor sideways onto the stator.
If you are competent open up the dasing and watch what happens.
If the fan is at fault try Geoff at CET

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
[...]

Well, a bit more info would have been useful. It sounds like all that is
happening is that the pump is probably running and the fan isn't. Given
that baseline ...

Diagnostics would require a DVM and carried out in the following order
and can all be performed at or near the pcb

1/ Is there 240V between the live and neutral on the PCB (Blue and brown
flying leads)

2/ Is the overheat stat open circuit as measured at the pcb (yellow and
white flying leads

3/ Are there volts to the Fan ? (connector which plugs into the pcb

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
My boiler, a Glow-worm space saver F, has stopped working. Its normal
sequence of operation when starting up is that the flue extractor fan
starts running, then a spark electrode lights a pilot light which then
lights the main burner. However, now all that happens when you switch
it on is a clunk and a faint whirring sound (I'm not sure if this is
coming from the boiler itself or just water circulating from the water
pump). There doesn't seem to be any air blowing out from the flue and
there is no sparking at the pilot light. Does anyone here have any idea
what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

===============
The 'whirring' sound which you describe might be the fan working normally
(despite the fact that there is apparently no air blowing out). The tubes
from the fan to the air switch have a tendency to block up (only about 3mm
ID). If this happens the light-up procedure fails. If you are confident
enough open the boiler, disconnect the air tubes and check that they're
clear of obstruction.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

No, that's Fuelsavers, the Spacesaver has a completely different fan

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

I have no reason to doubt raden's belief that these boilers have
troublesome fans.

No, that's Fuelsavers, the Spacesaver has a completely different fan

... if any fan at all.

Well, yes

From where I stand, If I know there's a Fuelsaver fan, I don't
necessarily know that there's a version without a fan

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It turned out the fan was jammed. Thanks for your help everyone.

Hugh