Default Ariston microGenus Boiler problem, totally non D.I.Y savvy!

Hello,

This is my first post to UK.D-I-Y, I took some time to read the FAQ so
hopefully i wont be doing anything wrong. I did a search and couldn't
find any other topics that covered my problem.

4 days ago the Ariston microGenus boiler - not sure which model - which
came installed with my new built flat (June 2002) refused to supply any
hot water, or heating.

I dug out the service/installation manuals that came with the boiler
and followed the 'troubleshooting' instructions.

A description of the symptoms:

1. I completely turned off the boiler and left it turned off over
night.

2. The next morning i went to the kitchen and turned it on at the
fuse-switch on the wall.

3. I then turned the "On/Off Knob" to On.

4. I believe the boiler starts to draw water into it (i'm not sure
really what the boiler is doing, it sounds like it's drawing water).

5. At the moment the temperature is 13C in my flat, the thermostat is
set to keep the flat at 22C so with the "Domestic Hot Water" and the
"Central Heating Selection" temperatures set to "Winter" - eg both at 3

6. The "Fume Sensor" orange light briefly lights up and then about 10
seconds later the "Ignition Failure" red light lights.

7. I have tried pressing the "Reset" button, but the boiler just
repeats phases 4 - 6 and the "Ignition Failure' red light is lit again.

I do not remember doing anything particularly different the evening
when the boiler stopped providing me with lovely hot water.

Is this a common / easily fixable problem or will I require a Heating
Engineer to fix my problem? Please try to be as Plain English as you
can if you think you could help me because I really have not got a clue
what all the jargon means!

Hopefully somebody can help, sorry if I broke any group rules!

DE

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It gets to ignition and fails. Does the ignition pilot light actually light
up? It may be what it says, it is failing to ignite.

7. I have tried pressing the "Reset" button, but the boiler just
repeats phases 4 - 6 and the "Ignition Failure' red light is lit again.

I do not remember doing anything particularly different the evening
when the boiler stopped providing me with lovely hot water.

Is this a common / easily fixable problem or will I require a Heating
Engineer to fix my problem? Please try to be as Plain English as you
can if you think you could help me because I really have not got a clue
what all the jargon means!

Hopefully somebody can help, sorry if I broke any group rules!

DE

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

If the ignition pilot light is what would normally be where you look
'into' the boiler and see the blue gas flame burning away then no.

There is absolutely no lighting or anything similar from inside the
small black 'peek-hole' on the front of the boiler.

Is this a common and easily fixable problem?

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:20:19 +0000, Doctor Evil wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Quick check - check that the gas is on!

I would say you have an ignition or flame sensing problem.
The cause likely is simple like a broken lead, wire or electrode. (£10?
part) Possibly the electronics (£100? part). Tiny chance it's the gas
valve (£100? part)

Given your level of experience I think you will need help.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Combi boiler - lack of heat problem David W.E. Roberts UK diy 3 March 10th 05 06:03 PM
Worcester Gas Combi Boiler Problem - No Hot Water mlv UK diy 0 March 8th 05 05:08 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Steel boiler problem PW Home Repair 2 June 26th 04 01:18 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM