Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim B

Default Chrome air vents & venting unused chimneys

I've removed a fire from a chimney breast due to it not being needed as
central heating is installed and would like to put something nicer looking
than a plaster or plastic air vent on the chimney breast. I've looked in
places like B&Q but all I seem to find are aluminium vents which don't look
that nice. I wonder if anyone can help me locate polished chrome vents?

Regarding the question of venting unused chimneys, I read a while back that
you can put the vent on the outside of the stack to avoid having an
unsightly grille vent in the room, but I've since been told that this won't
help the chimney to vent properly as it really needs warm air to vent it
efficiently and not the cold air that an outside vent would bring. Any
thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"Jim B" wrote in message
I've removed a fire from a chimney breast due to it not being needed as
central heating is installed and would like to put something nicer looking
than a plaster or plastic air vent on the chimney breast. I've looked in
places like B&Q but all I seem to find are aluminium vents which don't
look that nice. I wonder if anyone can help me locate polished chrome
vents?

Regarding the question of venting unused chimneys, I read a while back
that you can put the vent on the outside of the stack to avoid having an
unsightly grille vent in the room, but I've since been told that this
won't help the chimney to vent properly as it really needs warm air to
vent it efficiently and not the cold air that an outside vent would bring.
Any thoughts?

Chrome air vent he
http://www.yourhomedirect.co.uk/catalogue/cat59_1.htm
plus many others if you google for chrome vent

The grille most certainly should go outside whenever possible - it's the
best place. The only reason for venting the flue is to encourage
condensation to evaporate. Warm internal air will carry much more vapour
than cold external air, and therefore much more condensation will be formed
in the flue if you have the grille internally.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Jim B" writes:
Regarding the question of venting unused chimneys, I read a while back that
you can put the vent on the outside of the stack to avoid having an
unsightly grille vent in the room, but I've since been told that this won't
help the chimney to vent properly as it really needs warm air to vent it
efficiently and not the cold air that an outside vent would bring. Any
thoughts?

A vent works fine on the outside. If you have the top capped,
you must have a vent at the top too (both ends must be vented).
A flue vented from a room can draw as much as a kW of heat
from the room, which is probably something you would want to
avoid.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim B

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

A vent works fine on the outside. If you have the top capped,
you must have a vent at the top too (both ends must be vented).
A flue vented from a room can draw as much as a kW of heat
from the room, which is probably something you would want to
avoid.

The chimney stack covers 3 floors, do you think an external vent on each
floor is necessary or just one on the bottom and one on the top?

Rather than capping the top and putting a vent at the top, what about if I
just put a cowl on the chimney to stop the rain getting in, wouldn't that be
the same as capping and venting?

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Jim B" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

A vent works fine on the outside. If you have the top capped,
you must have a vent at the top too (both ends must be vented).
A flue vented from a room can draw as much as a kW of heat
from the room, which is probably something you would want to
avoid.

The chimney stack covers 3 floors, do you think an external vent on each
floor is necessary or just one on the bottom and one on the top?

Just bottom and top. It will generate its own draft.

Rather than capping the top and putting a vent at the top, what about if I
just put a cowl on the chimney to stop the rain getting in, wouldn't that be
the same as capping and venting?

Yes. However, I wouldn't bother doing anything at the top unless
you're up there for some other reason. I was just warning not to
cap it leaving it sealed. IME, the amount of rain which enters a
pot does not cause any harm in a vented flue.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"Jim B" writes:

Rather than capping the top and putting a vent at the top, what about if
just put a cowl on the chimney to stop the rain getting in, wouldn't that
be
the same as capping and venting?

Yes. However, I wouldn't bother doing anything at the top unless
you're up there for some other reason. I was just warning not to
cap it leaving it sealed. IME, the amount of rain which enters a
pot does not cause any harm in a vented flue.

I once found a frog in our fireplace that must have been dropped down the
chimney! I'd put one of those flue ventilator inserts in the pot - the type
with holes round the edge
http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/co...flues.htm#1838

Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM
Quick Attic Ventilation Question James Bond Home Repair 29 May 26th 05 02:33 PM
Adding A/C Vents this way barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 04:36 PM
Damp patch around air vents in bedroom Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 6 January 12th 04 07:09 PM