Posted to uk.d-i-y
Honeymonster

Default Boiler cuts out before getting fully hot

My Glowworm micron 60FF runs fine from cold but once the system is
warmed up (but not fully up to temperature) it keeps going around the
cycle: turn on, fan starts, gas ignites, runs about 10 seconds, turns
off, waits 10-30 seconds, repeats. This is all with the central
heating thermostat still calling for heat.

So, is this indicative of a failing themistor? In other words is it
indicating that the boiler water temperature is hot enough and hence
not allowing the boiler to run? The boiler stat is turned full on.

Also, when it is running it does a good impression of a steam engine
..... chuff .... chuff .... chuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Honeymonster wrote:

My Glowworm micron 60FF runs fine from cold but once the system is
warmed up (but not fully up to temperature) it keeps going around the
cycle: turn on, fan starts, gas ignites, runs about 10 seconds, turns
off, waits 10-30 seconds, repeats. This is all with the central
heating thermostat still calling for heat.

So, is this indicative of a failing themistor? In other words is it
indicating that the boiler water temperature is hot enough and hence
not allowing the boiler to run? The boiler stat is turned full on.

Also, when it is running it does a good impression of a steam engine
.... chuff .... chuff .... chuff.

Do you any means (e.g. IR thermometer) of measuring the *actual* flow
temperature when it starts cycling? What evidence do you have that it's not
"up to temperature"?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Honeymonster" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Glowworm micron 60FF runs fine from cold but once the system is
warmed up (but not fully up to temperature) it keeps going around the
cycle: turn on, fan starts, gas ignites, runs about 10 seconds, turns
off, waits 10-30 seconds, repeats. This is all with the central
heating thermostat still calling for heat.

So, is this indicative of a failing themistor? In other words is it
indicating that the boiler water temperature is hot enough and hence
not allowing the boiler to run? The boiler stat is turned full on.

Also, when it is running it does a good impression of a steam engine
.... chuff .... chuff .... chuff.

================
Buy a couple of these: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0000-118?eid=0023-000001

I think they're also stocked by Wickes, B&Q etc.

They're reasonably accurate and if one is placed on flow and another on
return they will show the difference between flow and return temperatures
which is probably more significant than a maximum temperature.

The manual suggests that the '....chuff ....chuff ....chuff ' ( technically
'hunting' ) is a sign that the circuit board needs to be replaced.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Cicero
writes

"Honeymonster" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Micron pcbs are now second only to Suprimas for us now.

The capacitors dry out and connectors fall off

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"Honeymonster" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Glowworm micron 60FF runs fine from cold but once the system is
warmed up (but not fully up to temperature) it keeps going around the
cycle: turn on, fan starts, gas ignites, runs about 10 seconds, turns
off, waits 10-30 seconds, repeats. This is all with the central
heating thermostat still calling for heat.

So, is this indicative of a failing themistor? In other words is it
indicating that the boiler water temperature is hot enough and hence
not allowing the boiler to run? The boiler stat is turned full on.

Also, when it is running it does a good impression of a steam engine
.... chuff .... chuff .... chuff.

What colour are the LEDs when on (reset & burner) - orange? If so, replace
PCB. I must have changed 100s of these! The new ones have green LEDs.
Look on the underside of the PCB, there'll be a scorch mark on it.

Someone calls up with a Micron misbehaving, I turn up with my toolbox and a
PCB.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Fentoozler
writes
[...]

Yup - the original ones (6 neons) were crap, the later ones (two green
LEDs), however seem to be not that much better from what I'm seeing
coming in for repair

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Fentoozler
writes
"Honeymonster" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Really? Thats a shame, I like these little boilers. With similar scorch
marks too? I haven't changed many faulty 'new' PCBs I must confess - is it
anything to do with the capacitors they used to send out with the PCB (they
seem to have stopped this recently)? Or anything to do with the thermistor
Glow-worm recommend you replace too? Do you know how may versions of PCB
there have been for the generic Micron (I believe they were on the 3rd or
even 4th)?

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Fentoozler
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Fentoozler
writes
"Honeymonster" wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

The new ones suffer from a number of different problems of which about
50% seem to be controller faults - which is bad news for me

Another problem is with the bespoke HT transformer which, again, is bad
news for me

I don't know offhand how many issue numbers they've got up to now

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Fentoozler
writes
[...]

==============
Is the failure to reach temperature linked directly to the impending PCB
failure or is it just a coincidence?

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Cicero
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Fentoozler
writes
[...]

It depends on what has actually failed and what is waiting to fail
IYSWIM

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Cicero
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Fentoozler
writes
"Honeymonster" wrote in message
legroups.com...
[...]

=================
I see what you mean. It would be sensible for OP to change the distressed
PCB and see what effect it has on temperature.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Cicero" writes:
================
Buy a couple of these: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/0000-118?eid=0023-000001

I think they're also stocked by Wickes, B&Q etc.

They're reasonably accurate and if one is placed on flow and another on
return they will show the difference between flow and return temperatures
which is probably more significant than a maximum temperature.

Stick them both on the same pipe to start with, and make sure
they read the same (if you are going to be interested in the
differential temperature). A large dollop of heat sink compound
on the back of the thermometer where it contacts the pipe
considerably helps with responsiveness and accuracy.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Honeymonster

It's not up to temperature because the pipes in and out of the boiler
are warm but not hot. I would guess no more than 50 degrees C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Honeymonster

Mine has the 2 green LEDs. They don't indicate any fault (i.e. the
boiler believes itself to be operating correctly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Honeymonster" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's not up to temperature because the pipes in and out of the boiler
are warm but not hot. I would guess no more than 50 degrees C.

===============
Your room thermostat could be faulty. Try it on a much higher setting and
see if it makes a difference.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"Honeymonster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mine has the 2 green LEDs. They don't indicate any fault (i.e. the
boiler believes itself to be operating correctly).

Still could be a dodgy PCB, dodgy boiler stat (which is incorporated onto
the PCB, or a faulty thermistor which has the incorrect resistance. It
would be unusual for a room stat to go wrong, but you could link it out and
see if the boiler runs for longer.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Honeymonster

For the record, the problem was fixed by replacing the thermistor.

Combi Boiler - water heating then cuts out P Lavers UK diy 7 December 2nd 14 07:44 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
boiler problem - hot water works then cuts out after a few seconds Home Repair 1 June 3rd 04 01:51 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM