P Lavers

Default Combi Boiler - water heating then cuts out

My boiler will heat water, but if it has been running for a while (eg
deep hot bath) then a minute or so after turning of the water there is
a clicking noise from the boiler and the pilot light goes out. If you
turn on the tap just after running a lot of hot water the water is
very hot. Seems that something is overheating and causing a saftery
mechanism to trip. However, I have had 4 visits from British Gas (I've
paid for their insurance service!!) and each time they have failed to
fix the problem. Any ideas?
Christian McArdle

Seems that something is overheating and causing a saftery
mechanism to trip.

Make and model would be useful.

Christian.

BigWallop

"P Lavers" wrote in message
m...
My boiler will heat water, but if it has been running for a while (eg
deep hot bath) then a minute or so after turning of the water there is
a clicking noise from the boiler and the pilot light goes out. If you
turn on the tap just after running a lot of hot water the water is
very hot. Seems that something is overheating and causing a saftery
mechanism to trip. However, I have had 4 visits from British Gas (I've
paid for their insurance service!!) and each time they have failed to
fix the problem. Any ideas?

If I understand this correctly, it is after the boiler does a burn, that the
system clicks and the pilot flame goes out ? Or does the pilot flame go out
and then the clicking noise is heard.

I think the clicking sound is the gas safety valve closing off to stop the
pilot flame injector from leaking gas into the body of the boiler. And this
fault, if it is happening after the boiler does its burn, is more than
likely to be the hot flue drawing air in and around the pilot flame and
blowing it out.

To test this, get a piece of wooden board (plywood or hardboard is OK) and
block off only the bottom half of the flue. Now if the flue is a balanced
or not, it doesn't matter, and all you need is the bottom section of flue
pipe to be slightly blocked. It also doesnt matter if the flue is of the
type with pipe in front of the other, as slightly blocking either the intake
or the outflow will tell you if the pilot flame is being drawn out by flue
gasses after the boiler has heated.

If it shows that the pilot flame remains lit after doing a few burns and
cools with the flue partly blocked, then call the gas company back and ask
them to slightly increase the pressure of the gas supply to the pilot.

If it doesn't show any improvement with doing this test, then you'll need to
have the engineer back to carry out other tests to find the real reason.

Remember not to block the whole flue, ONLY THE BOTTOM HALF OF IT. And keep
the barrier there for any more than the length of this test. The test
should only last for the time it take the boiler to cycle through two or
three burn patterns and not to extinguish the pilot flame.

This is not a cure for the fault.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

P Lavers

"ski" wrote in message ...
depending on which boiler I would guess that the pump over run is not
operating

"P Lavers" wrote in message
m...
My boiler will heat water, but if it has been running for a while (eg
deep hot bath) then a minute or so after turning of the water there is
a clicking noise from the boiler and the pilot light goes out. If you
turn on the tap just after running a lot of hot water the water is
very hot. Seems that something is overheating and causing a saftery
mechanism to trip. However, I have had 4 visits from British Gas (I've
paid for their insurance service!!) and each time they have failed to
fix the problem. Any ideas?

Sorry for not including this info before. The make is Ocean model is
Style FF . Its an old boiler but hardly used so in fairly good nick.
Don't think the pilot is blowing out. It seems more like after the tap
is turned of the water that remains in the boiler is continuing to
get heated (although the flames are extinguished) - I can sometimes
hear what sounds like water boiling inside the boiler. Perhaps there
is a safty mechanism that cuts in due to the heating and boiling of
the remaining water? If this is what is happening what is supposed to
prevent it? What is "pump over-run"?
Thanks

ski

The pump over run makes the pump circulate hot water out of the boiler for a
short time thus not making it overheat and hiss slightly like a kettle,
something like you are having. Check the manual ( if you have one ) and see
if there is a pump over run on that boiler. I think you will find it is more
likely to be the fault

"P Lavers" wrote in message
m...
"ski" wrote in message

depending on which boiler I would guess that the pump over run is not
operating

"P Lavers" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Lavers
My boiler will heat water, but if it has been running for a while (eg
deep hot bath) then a minute or so after turning of the water there is
a clicking noise from the boiler and the pilot light goes out. If you
turn on the tap just after running a lot of hot water the water is
very hot. Seems that something is overheating and causing a saftery
mechanism to trip. However, I have had 4 visits from British Gas (I've
paid for their insurance service!!) and each time they have failed to
fix the problem. Any ideas?
I have exactly the same problem after running a bath. When the water is running the overheating light flashes, then when I turn the water off, after a minute or so there is a click and the pilot goes out.
Have you found and answer yet?
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Boiler

I sure hope it's all working, I know it's an old post - but the benefit of
others on here who have the same problem - it's so hard to diagnose and
even more hard to bear! My nextdoor neightbour had the very same problem
it was driving him nuts, in the end I told him that STL Heating do a good
job - and so he tried them (expecting a big bill). But, they were able to
quote a price lower than others he'd had - but because they were'nt a one
man band he knew they'd be good - and they were. after a visit and some
work - all fixed (now he's happy as pie!)

Condensing-combi boilers Sapient Fridge UK diy 16 September 23rd 03 01:27 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM