Posted to uk.d-i-y
urchaidh

Default shower question(s)

Our old electric shower has finally given up - it's a roughy 10 year
old Miralec unit that was there when I bough the flat so it may just
have died of natural causes. It's been failing intermittently over the
last few months, but has now been 'down' for two days.

The failure mode is as follows: it would work just for fine then
suddenly stop, cutting the power and water. It would then remain
non-functional for anything between a few minutes and a few hours. You
just had to end your shower when it stopped and turn it off. Until the
last failure, it would always resume working again later.

I did wonder if it was overheating, but the wide range of failure times
suggests that may not be the case. The fact that the whole thing shuts
down suggest to me it's the pressure switch that's cutting it all.

Sometimes there would be a gurgling sound from inside which would
generally indicate that it was about to restart and I formed the
impression that leaving the showerhead in the bath woiuld speed up this
process. This led me to suspect that air was getting in to the system
somehow.

There's an old style rotary valve as an isolator on the supply though
this doesn't appear to actually shut off the water as I discovered
while investigating the first failure. If this valve has failed could
it be letting air into the system?

There is someting odd about our mains supply, in the kicthen the taps
run striong for a few seconds after turning on than back off. I can't
imagine this is related, but thought I'd mention it anyway,

Longer shot - the supply is shared with an upstairs flat. It tee's off
to my shower and continues upstairs (a bit odd I know, but its a 1900
terrace and the plumbing has been munged a few times since then). My
neighbours have recently had their bathroom redone, I can't think of
anything their plumbers could have done to cause this, any suggestions?

The water supply is a surface mounted copper pipe which, although it's
not pretty, I 'm going to retain rather when I replace the shower. I
thought the easiest way to connect up the new shower would be a new
service valve to replace the broken one and then a flexible hose to the
shower. Any reason not to use a flexible hose - earthing issues
perhaps?

Sorry for the long post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry

thought the easiest way to connect up the new shower would be a new
service valve to replace the broken one and then a flexible hose to the
shower. Any reason not to use a flexible hose - earthing issues
perhaps?

No earthing issues as such with using a flexible hose if it is a
stainless steel braided and has brass fittings either end, (not pushfit
plastic) The earthing of the new shower is a separate issue which can
be best answered by the Leccie persons who subscribe to this group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Any reason not to use a flexible hose - earthing issues perhaps?

No problem, provided the supplementary bonding is present, which it needs
anyway.

Christian.