Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

Default Building a shed!!!

Well, not so much a shed, more a home from home! The walls will be
studwork, with OSB on the outside, followed by paper & shiplap, filled
with Kingspan / Celotex, then plasterboarded on the inside. Floor is to
be concrete, insulated, then screeded. I'm fine with the planning once I
start on the timber, but would like to seeke some opinions for the floor
and base...

My plan is to lay a 6" concrete raft, with a membrane underneath,
followed by a blockwork wall (one course). Inside will be the
insulation, finally screeded over by 70mm or so. For the insulation, I
have been looking at using Jabolite, but was wondering whether I would
get acceptable results using large sheets of polystyrene. My in-laws get
several 8x4 sheets of this a week in their business, which would save a
bit on this stage. However, I'm not convinced that it would stand the
load, without giving, and subsequently causing problems with the screed.
Any ideas folks? The shed is only going to be used as a radio /
electronics play area, with a small office setup, so no heavy equipment.

Secondly, ideas for heating. I've considered using electric underfloor
heating, with a tiled floor, but not sure how good this will be as a
primary source of heat. Another option is a small air conditioning unit
(handy in summer & winter!). Whatever I go for, it has to be electric
based, as the shed is a bit far down the garden to run a zone from the
central heating system in the house!

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Gary
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
Well, not so much a shed, more a home from home! The walls will be
studwork, with OSB on the outside, followed by paper & shiplap, filled
with Kingspan / Celotex, then plasterboarded on the inside. Floor is to
be concrete, insulated, then screeded. I'm fine with the planning once I
start on the timber, but would like to seeke some opinions for the floor
and base...

Several new houses I've come across have a concrete floor, a plastic
memebrane, sheets of 1" (or so) polystyrene, then 18mm t&g chipboard. If
it stands the "load" in a house, I'd expect it to be OK in a radio shack,
even with a few AR88s!

--
73
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Gary Cavie wrote:

insulation, finally screeded over by 70mm or so. For the insulation, I
have been looking at using Jabolite, but was wondering whether I would
get acceptable results using large sheets of polystyrene. My in-laws get
several 8x4 sheets of this a week in their business, which would save a
bit on this stage. However, I'm not convinced that it would stand the
load, without giving, and subsequently causing problems with the screed.
Any ideas folks? The shed is only going to be used as a radio /
electronics play area, with a small office setup, so no heavy equipment.

I think jablite basically *is* large sheets of polystyrene... I actually
used it to insulate the walls of my workshop since it was way cheaper
than I could get celotex or similar for at the time. e.c:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/images/poly.jpg

Secondly, ideas for heating. I've considered using electric underfloor
heating, with a tiled floor, but not sure how good this will be as a
primary source of heat. Another option is a small air conditioning unit
(handy in summer & winter!). Whatever I go for, it has to be electric
based, as the shed is a bit far down the garden to run a zone from the
central heating system in the house!

How big is the room space?

My workshop is about 8 x 12 ish and is well insulated (although it has a
uninsulated suspended wood floor over concrete) and is easily heated by
a small wall mounted fan heater that will do upto 2.2kW (but in reality
lives on its 800W setting). Controlled via a separate room stat it will
get the room to a comfortable temp in under 10 mins from "cold" (I never
turn the heating off and leave the stat set to 5 degrees to keep things
dew free).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Gary Cavie wrote:

That's what I call a fast response BTW - have you got your modulator
link sorted out yet to the car radio?

Modulator link to the car radio? Arrgghhh!!! Hey, I expect 'hams' to be
able to rip things apart to apply 'direct injection' AF techniques. Much
better than doing it RF!!!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
Gary Cavie wrote:

insulation, finally screeded over by 70mm or so. For the insulation, I
have been looking at using Jabolite, but was wondering whether I would
get acceptable results using large sheets of polystyrene. My in-laws get
several 8x4 sheets of this a week in their business, which would save a
bit on this stage. However, I'm not convinced that it would stand the
load, without giving, and subsequently causing problems with the screed.
Any ideas folks? The shed is only going to be used as a radio /
electronics play area, with a small office setup, so no heavy equipment.

I think jablite basically *is* large sheets of polystyrene... I actually
used it to insulate the walls of my workshop since it was way cheaper
than I could get celotex or similar for at the time. e.c:

http://www.internode.ltd.uk/workshop/images/poly.jpg

Looks great - I want one of those!
(Those 2 JB's above the CU - they aren't hidden & inaccessible are
they?!)

Secondly, ideas for heating. I've considered using electric underfloor
heating, with a tiled floor, but not sure how good this will be as a
primary source of heat. Another option is a small air conditioning unit
(handy in summer & winter!). Whatever I go for, it has to be electric
based, as the shed is a bit far down the garden to run a zone from the
central heating system in the house!

How big is the room space?

Overall size is 5m x 4m externally, so about 4.5 x 3.5 internally, with
2.2m ceiling. Fan heater may well be an option, or even a kickspace one
beneath one of the units (forgot to mention, it's also going to have a
sink / worktop area!)

My workshop is about 8 x 12 ish and is well insulated (although it has a
uninsulated suspended wood floor over concrete) and is easily heated by
a small wall mounted fan heater that will do upto 2.2kW (but in reality
lives on its 800W setting). Controlled via a separate room stat it will
get the room to a comfortable temp in under 10 mins from "cold" (I never
turn the heating off and leave the stat set to 5 degrees to keep things
dew free).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:44:41 GMT, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

Several new houses I've come across have a concrete floor, a plastic
memebrane, sheets of 1" (or so) polystyrene, then 18mm t&g chipboard. If
it stands the "load" in a house, I'd expect it to be OK in a radio shack,
even with a few AR88s!

Friend of mine had a murphy B40. Very heavy bit of kit which needed at
least two people to lift:
http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/boats/murphy3.htm

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Gary Cavie wrote:

Looks great - I want one of those!
(Those 2 JB's above the CU - they aren't hidden & inaccessible are
they?!)

You can unscrew the panel should you wish... (although since that would
involve moving the workbench (or more difficult all the cr*p that
resides under/on/near it I would be tempted to take a saw to it should I
need access!)

How big is the room space?

Overall size is 5m x 4m externally, so about 4.5 x 3.5 internally, with
2.2m ceiling. Fan heater may well be an option, or even a kickspace one
beneath one of the units (forgot to mention, it's also going to have a
sink / worktop area!)

I would have thought a few small fanheaters on thermostats would do the
job easily enough and also save having any cold spots that might result
with just one heat source. Perhaps a small oil filled rad might work for
some background heat. You could always do some heatloss calcs for it if
you want to get it "right". (I have always been surprised just how good
the thermal performance of mine has been - especially since I did not
use the best insulation in the first place).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

For the insulation, I have been looking at using Jabolite, but was
wondering whether I would get acceptable results using large sheets
of polystyrene.

Jablite actually is just a brand name for polystyrene.

Secondly, ideas for heating. I've considered using electric underfloor
heating, with a tiled floor, but not sure how good this will be as a
primary source of heat.

An infrequently used shed should probably not have underfloor heating.
Underfloor heating is excellent at providing background heat, but hopeless
at heating a room rapidly when needed, which is likely to be the most
efficient method of heating a shed.

I would recommend a thermostatic electric convector heater with selectable
fan assist. This will rapidly bring the shed up to temp when needed, and can
also be used for frost protection.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

In article , cmcardle75
@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk says...
For the insulation, I have been looking at using Jabolite, but was
wondering whether I would get acceptable results using large sheets
of polystyrene.

Jablite actually is just a brand name for polystyrene.

I knew to my untrained eye it looked like polystyrene, but didn;t know
if it was a denser, stronger version. Looks like a few quid saved!

Secondly, ideas for heating. I've considered using electric underfloor
heating, with a tiled floor, but not sure how good this will be as a
primary source of heat.

An infrequently used shed should probably not have underfloor heating.
Underfloor heating is excellent at providing background heat, but hopeless
at heating a room rapidly when needed, which is likely to be the most
efficient method of heating a shed.

I would recommend a thermostatic electric convector heater with selectable
fan assist. This will rapidly bring the shed up to temp when needed, and can
also be used for frost protection.

Christian.

My shed at present is not infrequently used - I spend too much time in
it (2-3 hours per night, and several hours over a weekend!) I think I
will go for the convector / fan approach - I use a 1250W convector in
the current one, which isn't really enough - shed thermally very leaky,
especially when the kids leave the bl**dy door wide open, as they've
just done!!!

Thanks for the advice Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

My shed at present is not infrequently used - I spend too much time in
it (2-3 hours per night, and several hours over a weekend!) I think I
will go for the convector / fan approach - I use a 1250W convector in
the current one, which isn't really enough - shed thermally very leaky,
especially when the kids leave the bl**dy door wide open, as they've
just done!!!

With proper insulation and a closed door, a cheap standard 2.2kW electric
fan convector will bring the shed up to temperature in a couple of minutes.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Gary Cavie wrote:

That's what I call a fast response BTW - have you got your modulator link
sorted out yet to the car radio?

Modulator link to the car radio? Arrgghhh!!! Hey, I expect 'hams' to be
able to rip things apart to apply 'direct injection' AF techniques. Much
better than doing it RF!!!

Hmm, new car so ripping it apart isn't a good option.

Basic idea is on hold, I'm still trying to find a way to mount the antenna
really neatly so the car will fit in the garage.

__
73
Brian
www.g8osn.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...

It's not the radios that will be the problem - it's the weight of me in
a swivel chair that will give the floor something to think about!

Well, I knew that but was too polite to say.

That's what I call a fast response BTW - have you got your modulator
link sorted out yet to the car radio?

Still thinking on it. Main problem is the antenna mount- idea was to use a
roof rack but the real Honda one is too high to allow the folded antenna to
clear the garage door, the alternate rack didn't fit very well (I've just
returned it).

I'm thinking on a home made bracket but need to make a cover that will mould
around the fore-aft roof rail cover.

To get back OT for the group, any ideas on a moulding material I can form to
shape then will "set", while remaining resistant to sun, rain, etc.

__
73
Brian
www.g8osn.org.uk

Wiring the garden shed Declan UK diy 1 January 9th 06 11:34 AM
Building a ramp for a storage shed [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 23rd 05 12:32 AM
Building a Shed -- Flooring and other questions Ringo Langly Woodworking 23 February 10th 05 12:43 AM
Exemption from building regs??? antz UK diy 4 January 14th 05 08:05 AM
Building an Extension (Preparation Stage) Andrew UK diy 7 December 29th 03 11:48 PM