Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe

Default DIY frosted glass

I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
johno

Worrying thought that you will get dump on your windows, maybe a lower
fibre diet? ;-)))))
Seriously though, you can buy a plastic film that will stick to the
glass, or I seem to remember you can buy glass etching liquid, a Google
search should do the trick.
Hope that helps
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

JoeJoe wrote in message
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would

have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it

could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

I think paint would be a bad idea, how about this instead
http://www.etchfx.co.uk/

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike

At one time you could buy "Fablon" in a semi-transparemt frosted glass
effect.

First house we bought had clear bathroom windows, and being skint
(naturally) I used it instead of replacing all the glass. Was still there
and looking OK 4 years later.

Woolworths certainly used to stock it, and it sounds like just what you
need. Take extractor out to fit it though!

Mike

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would
have replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it
could get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
johno

Plastic window film

http://www.brume.co.uk/asp/gallery.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:27:22 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

At one time you could buy "Fablon" in a semi-transparemt frosted glass
effect.

First house we bought had clear bathroom windows, and being skint
(naturally) I used it instead of replacing all the glass. Was still there
and looking OK 4 years later.

Woolworths certainly used to stock it, and it sounds like just what you
need. Take extractor out to fit it though!

I've seen "Fablon" in B&Q, but I have no idea what patterns or
finishes they sell.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

JoeJoe wrote:
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

It would probably be a lot neater and easier to use stick-on film, eg:

http://www.windowfilm.co.uk/residential.aspx
http://www.brume.co.uk/

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

JoeJoe wrote:
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I
would have replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it
already has the extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is
limited, I thought that perhaps I could just spray paint it to create
the effect until my budget allows for a more permanent solution. If I
could get a couple of years out of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although
it could get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

You can obtain this in an art shop.
http://www.paintideas.com/product_in...tId1=38&FLT=~0
~
--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Humbrol do an aerosol "glass etch" which is actually a matt translucent
varnish. It works well for this job.

It's even funnier as a gift for chemists. To see their face when they
realise it's an _aerosol_ glass etchant (before they realise it's
actually just varnish)....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it
could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Humbrol do an aerosol "glass etch" which is actually a matt translucent
varnish. It works well for this job.

Thanks, Andy, useful to know about for temporary special effects.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

Humbrol do an aerosol "glass etch" which is actually a matt translucent
varnish. It works well for this job.

It's even funnier as a gift for chemists. To see their face when they
realise it's an _aerosol_ glass etchant (before they realise it's
actually just varnish)....

lol.

Another option, just for completeness, it to hang some shower curtain
fabric.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good God man! For the price they want for a 'wee' panel I'd put a brick
through it and fit a new double glazed unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:33:26 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

Humbrol do an aerosol "glass etch" which is actually a matt translucent
varnish. It works well for this job.

It's even funnier as a gift for chemists. To see their face when they
realise it's an _aerosol_ glass etchant (before they realise it's
actually just varnish)....

Is that because they think "I the f**k can anyone sell a spray can of HF ?!?!?".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

I used a transparent patterned Fablon for a similar job some years
ago. Never liked it - looked cheap and nasty. I suspect
damp/condensation might bring most varnishes off.

Have you thought of putting a bit of patterned rigid plastic over the
window - either screwed straight on (it can be cut and drilled) or
even framed and hinged? It could opened for cleaning - and might
serve as effective double glazing. You can buy sheets of Glodex (sp?)
or similar in various patterns from DIY centres, even some garden
centres. You used to be able to buy diy aluminium framing for
secondary glazing, but I haven't seen that in a while.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

"johno" wrote in message
oups.com...
Worrying thought that you will get dump on your windows, maybe a lower
fibre diet? ;-)))))
Seriously though, you can buy a plastic film that will stick to the
glass, or I seem to remember you can buy glass etching liquid, a Google
search should do the trick.
Hope that helps
John

If you do use the glass etching liquid, leave small clear letters to spell
your postcode :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

I used a transparent patterned Fablon for a similar job some years
ago. Never liked it - looked cheap and nasty. I suspect
damp/condensation might bring most varnishes off.

I rmember seeing that plastic stuff on bog windows in old houses, and
it was always cut wrong at the edges, looking rather carp, and leaving
gaps that could be seen through. I remember it as generally looking a
mess. I assume it can be applied well, but it seems many didnt manage
it. So I cant help but have some amount of reservation there.

Have you thought of putting a bit of patterned rigid plastic over the
window - either screwed straight on (it can be cut and drilled) or
even framed and hinged? It could opened for cleaning - and might
serve as effective double glazing. You can buy sheets of Glodex (sp?)
or similar in various patterns from DIY centres, even some garden
centres. You used to be able to buy diy aluminium framing for
secondary glazing, but I haven't seen that in a while.

John

Sounds much nicer. You could even use shower curtain material and
double sided adhesive if you need a no-ish cost job.

Ever though of printing out a bizarre bathroom scene and hanging that
in the window??

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

JoeJoe wrote:
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

If you go along with the idea of sticking a film on the glass, be warned
that some reflective films go clear at night, when backlit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
JoeJoe wrote
I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would
have replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

I think paint would be a bad idea

Me too, it'd look like an empty shop.

Can't you pop the window out and get it sandblasted ;-)

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:03:27 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

I live in a flat and the bathroom window is overlooked. Ideally I would have
replaced the clear glass with a frosted one, but as it already has the
extractor fan mounted in it, and my budget is limited, I thought that
perhaps I could just spray paint it to create the effect until my budget
allows for a more permanent solution. If I could get a couple of years out
of it, then that will do.

Assuming that the glass is unlikely to be touched/scraped, although it could
get quite dump, which type paint should I use?

SWMBO had a good idea just after I posted my last offering. A
venetian blind. It's usually possible to set the slats at an angle
that admits plenty of daylight but precludes anyone from seeing in.
And you can take it with you if you ever leave.

John

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
frosted glass Daniel UK diy 4 February 15th 05 11:33 AM
How to clean frosted glass table top orangetrader Home Repair 9 October 31st 04 05:33 PM