Daniel

Default frosted glass

I wonder if anyone could help. My wife has dreamed up this idea for
our bathroom and I just wondered if it was practical.

In our kitchen, we used a piece of toughened glass as a splashback.
Bought it from a glazier, who painted the back white and foil backed
it. Looks fantastic - would recomend it highly. Cheap (£80 or so) and
looks very cool - that kind of milky green look.

Now in the bathroom, her idea is to use a long thin strip (c. 40cm
high by 3m long) of the same stuff to break up a wall of plain white
tiles. Effectively therefore you get a plain white tiled wall with
this long strip of frosted glass at the right height so that it is
just above the sink.

Very clever.

But: 2 questions.

Firstly, can you just insert this glass as if it were one big long
tile? Would you simply attach it with tile adhesive or would there be
issues?

Also, we wanted to try painting it with a colour other than white,
purple in fact. However I am concerned that rather than looking
purple, the green tint of the glass will simply make it rather brown.
Anyone any experience?

Cheers in advance

Daniel
Brian Sharrock

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 14 Feb 2005 05:45:40 -0800, (Daniel) wrote:

Firstly, can you just insert this glass as if it were one big long
tile? Would you simply attach it with tile adhesive or would there be
issues?

Nope - drill it and screw it. Drilling glass isn't all _that_ hard,
but for a big piece you're better getting the glazier to do it.

CAUTION ! If the glass has been _tempered_ (which I
beleive the original poster was referring to) DO NOT
ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME - or even at work!
Tempered glass is basically held in film of surface.
Pierce the surface and the things shatters into safe particles.

Drill it slightly oversize,

The glazier will drill the required holes and bevel / round-off/
polish the edges _prior_ to tempering the glass.

then sleeve the screw with a slip of
silicone tubing. Mirror screws with the chrome dome heads are an easy
stock item, but they're still a little ugly IMHO (in a '70s style).
Personally I prefer stainless (or black) snap-head Allens

Concur with above.

Also, we wanted to try painting it with a colour other than white,
purple in fact. However I am concerned that rather than looking
purple, the green tint of the glass will simply make it rather brown.
Anyone any experience?

Yes, you. Get a foot square of the same glass and prototype it.
You'll never know unless you see it in situ.

I installed a glass 'splash-back' behind the hob in my kitchen.
The splash-back mates up to the glass canopy on the extractor
hood. The body of the extractor fan projects below the canopy;
so I needed a glass of xxx mm x yyy mm with a 'notch' out of
the top (plus four fixing holes)'. A drawing was supplied to the
glazier - and when the item was delivered - they'd 'notched' it
portrait instead of landscape! As they was freely admitted
it was their mistake and not-to-drawing they produced another
item (correctly notched)!
The glaziers asked me if I could use the original piece (gratis)
as it was of no use to anybody - they said 'if we even scratch it-
it'll implode- that's the trouble with tempered glass'

--

Brian

Polycarbonate Vs double glazed Glass units.. Shabs UK diy 2 January 7th 05 03:43 PM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
How to clean frosted glass table top orangetrader Home Repair 9 October 31st 04 05:33 PM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM