Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice needed on wiring picture lights.

My brother bought some pictures that have lights within them and
connected with a foreign 2pin lead. both leads on the pictures reach
to the skirting board and are about 3 metres apart, a further metre to
the socket.

How can I wire these 2 together, and then into a plug socket so when i
switch on, both lights are illuminated? I need a way to start at the
socket, go to the 1st light (1m away) and then to the second light (a
further 3m away).

What wire and connectors etc should i be using.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My brother bought some pictures that have lights within them and
connected with a foreign 2pin lead. both leads on the pictures reach
to the skirting board and are about 3 metres apart, a further metre to
the socket.

How can I wire these 2 together, and then into a plug socket so when i
switch on, both lights are illuminated? I need a way to start at the
socket, go to the 1st light (1m away) and then to the second light (a
further 3m away).

What wire and connectors etc should i be using.

Ok.........

One way to do it.......

Start with a 13A Plug with a 3A fuse fitted, connect this with 3 core
flex (about as small a cross section as you can get, 1.00mm would be
ample) to a 2 way trailing socket (like you get with a 4 way mains ext
cable only 2 way) position this under the first light.

Chop off the foreign plug and fit a 13A plug with 3A fuse. Plug in.
Make up a 3 Metre ext cable from 3 core flex as above, 13A plug with 3A
fuse fitted and a single 13A trailing socket. Plug this into the empty
socket of the 2 way trailing socket. Cut the foreign plug off the
other light and plug it into the one way trailing socket.

Now (and only now) plug in, switch on and enjoy!

NB The above assumes the lights are = 750 ish watts combined.

Another way.......

Would be to chop of the nasty foreign plugs and connect the two leads
and a piece of 3 core flex into a juntion box or in line cable joiner
and then just put a 13A plug with 3A fuse on the end of that.
potentially much cheaper/neater.

Others will doubtless have other ideas.