Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Strorage heaters.

I have now got heating once more after an episode of British Gasness.

(They actually contacted me a few days ago -while I was still waiting,
after a month without heating. They contacted me to try and keep my
business by repeatedly advising me that other competitors apply a
standing charge. He didn't seem to want to know about the reason I was
really leaving, as that was "not really the fault of British Gas but
Onstream and the power company."

It occurred to me that it was up to BG to chase them or insist on
competence from the utility providor on my behalf but I didn't want to
help the company in any way. I just said that I would rather pay extra
for a service that works than get one free that doesn't. But that is
all by the bye.)

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped, for the help and also I
never said thanks in this thread:

BigWallop Jan 27 2004, 8:02 am
I have Creda Storage heaters with two dial settings each in them. Any
idea why?

Does this site help any? http://www.natenergy.org.uk/el-heat.htm

BigWallop Jan 27 2004, 8:06 am

This one might better explain it :

http://www.housewarming.org.uk/heati...e_heaters.html
*******

Chris Vowles Jan 27 2004, 10:39 am

Does one feel more mechanical than the other, it probably opens vents
to allow the last of the heat to come out in the evening, make sure
you close it again before you go to bed so that it keeps the heat in
until it is wanted
*******

Scott M Jan 27 2004, 10:52 am

Many years ago when in a shared house with storage heaters I came to
the
conclusion that these very simple beasts are just too complicated for
the great unwashed. Apart from a complete inability to comprehend their
fairly simple function, nobody seems able to think more than 2 minutes
ahead and attempts to use them in the same way as an ordinary electric
heater.

One dial controls how much hot the bricks inside get overnight, one
dial
controls how much hot air comes out during the day.
*******

Chris Vowles Jan 27 2004, 11:03 am

You do have to become a weather forcaster if you have night storage
heaters as you have to guess what the temperature is going to be the
next day, if you set it too high you end up with the daft situation of
opening the window in the depths of winter to cool the room down, but
if you didn't set the heater high enough then there is nothing you can
do - I think some may have had fan heaters incorporated for this
reason
*******

derek Jan 27 2004, 11:14 am

On the ones in our office it's not quite that simple. The daytime
control principally affects the "Boost" at the end of the day when the
bricks have cooled down, a bi-metallic strip then opens a flap to
create an additional hot air path. You can chose how much boost you
want.
*******

Andrew May Jan 27 2004, 12:45 pm
One controls the amount of heat going into the heater when it
'charges' on the Economy 7 tariff. The other adjusts the rate at which
it is released by adjusting a flap above the bricks to control the
amount of heat released.

Which is which probably depends on the model but the output on is the
one that causes the clanking sound of the flap moving when it is
adjusted.
*******

Harry Bloomfield Jan 27 2004, 4:20 pm
One will likely be the charge temperature setting, the temperature at
which the unit cuts off its overnight charge and the other a boost
flap. The later should be kept closed until the extra heat is required
in the evening, then re-closed prior to going to bed.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org (dead link BTW.)
*******

Thank you all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

I will tell one nice bonus for storage heaters. The rad is wide enough
to take a frozen loaf and if you give each side about an hour, you get
lovely, crispy crusts.

Use bread wrapped in the breathable cellophane, as with a Sainsbuy's
(un-sliced) loaf. Freeze it fresh and open the ends to allow
condensation to escape. Polythene will melt.

TASTY, tasty; very, VERY tasty!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 21 Jan 2006 03:01:01 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

|I will tell one nice bonus for storage heaters. The rad is wide enough
|to take a frozen loaf and if you give each side about an hour, you get
|lovely, crispy crusts.

We defrost frozen home made bread in the microwave on defrost. Ensure
that it is still slightly cold in the middle. Over microwaving is a
*bad* idea, ruins the taste.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

We defrost frozen home made bread in the microwave on defrost. Ensure
that it is still slightly cold in the middle.

Straight from the oven to the freezer; straight from the freezer to the
rad. It takes about 3 or 4 hours and remains fresh until you cut it
open. It is still good for a couple of days. It's amazing how good an
insulator bread is.

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/

Anyone tried the Google book thing? http://books.google.com/

I find them almost unreadable. You can't copy to a text file -as far as
I know, either. I suppose it is worth what you pay for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I will tell one nice bonus for storage heaters. The rad is wide enough
to take a frozen loaf and if you give each side about an hour, you get
lovely, crispy crusts.

Use bread wrapped in the breathable cellophane, as with a Sainsbuy's
(un-sliced) loaf. Freeze it fresh and open the ends to allow
condensation to escape. Polythene will melt.

TASTY, tasty; very, VERY tasty!!

Mmm.
Crumbs in a storage heater.
What a good idea!

Old gas heaters ? ? ? Ray Home Repair 6 December 4th 05 12:07 AM
is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter? Pawel Home Repair 173 November 25th 05 08:30 PM
Change to Econ. 7 and new storage heaters (electrics question) fred UK diy 8 September 23rd 05 12:18 AM
Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters John Smith UK diy 31 July 11th 04 01:17 PM
Seeking info about MAYTAG Electric Water Heaters!!! Matthew Wanamaker Home Ownership 2 January 25th 04 04:00 AM