Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Default Mirrored or diffused glass

I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite. I don't want anything
dangling from the ceiling. I can't have anything flush in the ceiling.

I was thinking of a couple of fluorescent tubes behind the wall, with either
pearl diffused glass or, perhaps, transmissive slightly mirrored glass.

I presume if I permanently install these in the shower cubicle, then the
light fittings behind will be out of the zones (there will only be access to
the electrics through the airing cupboard).

However, does anyone know a supplier of such glass?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most glass suppliers can get sand blasted glass which looks like plain
acid etched and there are all sorts of speciality glass available just
go and ask.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Christian McArdle said the following on 17/01/2006 17:07:
I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite. I don't want anything
dangling from the ceiling. I can't have anything flush in the ceiling.

I was thinking of a couple of fluorescent tubes behind the wall, with either
pearl diffused glass or, perhaps, transmissive slightly mirrored glass.

I presume if I permanently install these in the shower cubicle, then the
light fittings behind will be out of the zones (there will only be access to
the electrics through the airing cupboard).

However, does anyone know a supplier of such glass?

Christian.

I guess your idea for sealed-at-the-front light fittings would be
similar to a swimming pool solution. You might want to investigate
along those lines.

You should be able to order suitable toughened and heat-resistant glass
from your local glazier. I imagine they would arrange for it to be sand
blasted or etched as well.

Half-silvered security glass (i.e. "transmissive slightly mirrored")
would normally be toughened, but the coating would not necessarily be
heat resistant.

You could try http://www.birchdaleglass.com if you get stuck elsewhere.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Most glass suppliers can get sand blasted glass which looks like plain
acid etched and there are all sorts of speciality glass available just
go and ask.

Do you know if it can be toughened? I don't fancy shard type glass in a
shower.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
Most glass suppliers can get sand blasted glass which looks like plain
acid etched and there are all sorts of speciality glass available just
go and ask.

Do you know if it can be toughened? I don't fancy shard type glass in a
shower.

I think my local glaziers provide anything you like in toughened form;
and they certainly have a good range of opaque stuff.

Surely the half-mirror-finish won't be any good though? AIUI the mirror
effect only works when the side behind the mirror is at a lower light
level than the other side, which won't be the case if you're putting
lightbulbs behind it.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
Most glass suppliers can get sand blasted glass which looks like plain
acid etched and there are all sorts of speciality glass available just
go and ask.

Do you know if it can be toughened? I don't fancy shard type glass in a
shower.

Use laminated glass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite.

Why do you want lighting?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Why do you want lighting?

So he can see any obtuse questions before they hit him?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Surely the half-mirror-finish won't be any good though? AIUI the mirror
effect only works when the side behind the mirror is at a lower light
level than the other side, which won't be the case if you're putting
lightbulbs behind it.

The idea is that it looks like a dark mirror when the lights are off, but
would be transmissive to the lights when they are on. It would need a
diffuser as well so that you don't just see the light fittings in all their
glory.

I would suggest that something 25% reflective, 70% transmissive, 5% opaque
would be ideal. However, I doubt it is possible to easily locate such an
item.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite.

Why do you want lighting?

Because my aim is bad enough to start with. Doing it in the pitch black
would not improve things.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Chris Bacon wrote:

Use laminated glass.

That's just silly - going up an order of magnitude in cost for no
additional benefit.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite.

Why do you want lighting?

Because my aim is bad enough to start with. Doing it in the pitch black
would not improve things.

LOL!

Perhaps a ring light on the rim is the answer :-) I believe you can get
little fluorescent stick-on geegaws ...

Mary

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Perhaps a ring light on the rim is the answer :-) I believe you can get
little fluorescent stick-on geegaws ...

Or wear a ring flash designed for a camera... ideal for that stop motion
effect ;-)

(although not sure I would fancy the 300V is such close proximity - that
could wake you up with a jolt!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

(although not sure I would fancy the 300V is such close proximity - that
could wake you up with a jolt!)

Unfortunately, there is a shower in the room, and the toilet rim is in Zone
3. I believe that 300V would not be allowed.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

(although not sure I would fancy the 300V is such close proximity - that
could wake you up with a jolt!)

Unfortunately, there is a shower in the room, and the toilet rim is in Zone
3. I believe that 300V would not be allowed.

Interesting question - most ring flash units will be battery powered
(even if the battery does run and inverter/charge pump etc to achieve
the strike voltage for the flash).

What regs (if any) are there concerning use of battery equipment in a
special location?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite.
Why do you want lighting?

Because my aim is bad enough to start with. Doing it in the pitch black
would not improve things.

Is there nothing one can swallow that would give luminous pee?

When I was a child (in the 1940s) we used to pinch my mother's little liver
pills which made us pee green. But being a girlie I never saw it mid-stream
and never asked my bro, that would have been rude.

They've probably been banned now ... we had to get our entertainment as we
could.

In 1998 I had a lumpectomy and afterwards discovered that I was peeing
bright blue. I asked the surgeon who explained that it was a dye which he
injected into the cancer to mark a 'sentinel lymph node which might be
affected.

Again, I didn't see it until afterwards, in fact I wouldn't have seen it at
all except that in my post-anaesthetic state (I don't think they do bed pans
any more) it dribbled down my horrid white, tight, surgical stockinged legs.

But you didn't want to know that.

That'll larn yer to open my posts!

Oh - I learned last year that vole urine emits uv light which can be
detected by some hawks (e.g. kestrels), which is why you see them hovering
for ages over a particular spot. They're waiting for an exact location. The
voles mark their territory and paths and the hawks wait over them.

No doubt someone will put me right.

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RichardS

"Owain" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
I need to think of my lighting for my tiny ensuite.
Why do you want lighting?

Because my aim is bad enough to start with. Doing it in the pitch black
would not improve things.

Is there nothing one can swallow that would give luminous pee?

Owain

Berocca gives an effect that's probably best described as "dayglo"

--

Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
Glueing Glass xavier UK diy 17 November 16th 04 05:29 PM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 10:34 AM