Posted to uk.d-i-y
NC

Default 10A fuse ?

Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

NC said the following on 09/01/2006 09:17:
Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...DC180-10&N=411

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ses/index.html

or Google for BS1362

or visit any local electrical wholesaler
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NC

Cheers. Searching for all sorts of key words on the RS website got me
nowhere.... but the BS code did the trick. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

NC said the following on 09/01/2006 10:04:
Cheers. Searching for all sorts of key words on the RS website got me
nowhere.... but the BS code did the trick. Thanks.

You may have noted that RS incorrectly describe these fuses as 6.3x32mm
in the one line description, but correctly identify them as 25mm long in
the pop-up detail.

I didn't cite the RS reference to avoid confusion ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:17:55 -0800, NC wrote:

Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

If you take a bunch of 13A fuses you will find that the currents they
actually blow has quite a wide variation, so all you need to do is select
some which blow at around 10A.

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:17:55 -0800, NC wrote:

Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

If you take a bunch of 13A fuses you will find that the currents they
actually blow has quite a wide variation, so all you need to do is select
some which blow at around 10A.

make sure yout test it first

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

powerstation wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 01:17:55 -0800, NC wrote:

Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

If you take a bunch of 13A fuses you will find that the currents they
actually blow has quite a wide variation, so all you need to do is select
some which blow at around 10A.

make sure yout test it first

It probably is possible to correlate resistive impulse response to pulsed
current, with blowing current, so you could make a good guess
beforehand.
However, 13A fuses are guaranteed to pass 13A forever, and none should
blow at 10A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
NC wrote:
Anyone suggest where I Can find a 10A cartridge (ie plug) style fuse ??
Following advise here, I now have a spur in place but need a 10A fuse
in the FCU - but I cant find anywhere that sells them ! (currently have
a 5A in as the load is small, but this may increase).

The fuse in an FCU is simply there to protect the wiring after it. So even
if using 1mm TW&E, a 13 amp fuse will be fine in most cases. If the
'appliance' needs further protection this should be done there - and say
20mm fuses - are available in near any possible varieties.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NC

Yep - I appreciate that - but just want to make sure everything is as
it 'should' be. I will be routing the spur down into another room to
provide power into a cupboard. PC & printer will be using that, plus a
PC in the loft acting as a server. 10A will be sufficient, but I want
to ensure that the 10A rating of the wire is not exceeded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
NC wrote:
Yep - I appreciate that - but just want to make sure everything is as
it 'should' be. I will be routing the spur down into another room to
provide power into a cupboard. PC & printer will be using that, plus a
PC in the loft acting as a server. 10A will be sufficient, but I want
to ensure that the 10A rating of the wire is not exceeded.

What wire are you using?

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .com,
NC wrote:
Yep - I appreciate that - but just want to make sure everything is as
it 'should' be. I will be routing the spur down into another room to
provide power into a cupboard. PC & printer will be using that, plus a
PC in the loft acting as a server. 10A will be sufficient, but I want
to ensure that the 10A rating of the wire is not exceeded.

What wire are you using?

or cable ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
NC wrote:

Yep - I appreciate that - but just want to make sure everything is as
it 'should' be. I will be routing the spur down into another room to
provide power into a cupboard. PC & printer will be using that, plus a
PC in the loft acting as a server. 10A will be sufficient, but I want
to ensure that the 10A rating of the wire is not exceeded.

What wire are you using?

This was the subject of a fairly recent thread. He's got a fused spur
run in 1 mm^2, so a 10 A fuse (for overload as well as fault protection)
is the correct choice.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
Yep - I appreciate that - but just want to make sure everything is as
it 'should' be. I will be routing the spur down into another room to
provide power into a cupboard. PC & printer will be using that, plus a
PC in the loft acting as a server. 10A will be sufficient, but I want
to ensure that the 10A rating of the wire is not exceeded.

What wire are you using?

This was the subject of a fairly recent thread. He's got a fused spur
run in 1 mm^2, so a 10 A fuse (for overload as well as fault protection)
is the correct choice.

If running a spur from an FCU on a ring I'd just use 2.5mm TW&E. After all
it's the one most people will have the most of lying around. Saves trying
to be clever with non standard fuses or even having to think about such
things.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.