Seventh Prince

Default How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board

Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

ridz

Seventh Prince wrote:

Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply
board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power
wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need
to solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further
soldering to the PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire
but PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

If the 2A rating is correct and the fuse keep blowing every time,
then I suspect that the PSU board is faulty. I suggest you chuck
the PSU and get a new one.

mike

Seventh Prince wrote:
Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

soldering on fuses is unreliable. Put in a socket of some kind.
But sounds like you need to fix the reason it's blowing. Shorted diode
is typical cause.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

dave chiew

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:39:10 -0700, mike wrote:

Seventh Prince wrote:
Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

soldering on fuses is unreliable. Put in a socket of some kind.
But sounds like you need to fix the reason it's blowing. Shorted diode
is typical cause.
mike

The Dude: "Adoi! These people talk about soldering iron tak habis-
habis!"

-dave chiew (hehehe)
Parse System Technology

1.0 Solder a fuse holder on PCB board instead of soldering fuse directly on
the board.
2.0 Then place your 2A fuse into the fuse holder, switch on the power.
3.0 If the fuse blow, then replace another fuse while the power switch is
off. Then you switch on the power.

If the fuse is blow again, kindly repeat 3.0.

If you have repeated the step 3.0 for more than 10 times, perhaps you can
email me, I will sell you the fuse at dealer price, a packet of 50 units
fuse will cost you RM 15.00. Then you can repeat the step 3.0 procedure.

"Seventh Prince" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

kip

Well if the correct fuse value blows then its obvious that the PS has
problems.
If you need that type why not just buy fuses with pigtails...

"Seventh Prince" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

Fhurqaan Hamid

ridz wrote:

Seventh Prince wrote:

Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply
board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power
wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need
to solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further
soldering to the PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire
but PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

If the 2A rating is correct and the fuse keep blowing every time,
then I suspect that the PSU board is faulty. I suggest you chuck
the PSU and get a new one.

Yup, sounds like voltage regulator is kaput.

--
All replies to this address are routed to /dev/null
$HOME=/dev/null

You need only two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

* TagZilla 0.059 *
http://tagzilla.mozdev.org
Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:47:12 +0800, ridz wrote:

Seventh Prince wrote:

Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply
board
in exchange for the pcb solder 2A fuse. And what type of power
wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need
to solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further
soldering to the PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire
but PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

If the 2A rating is correct and the fuse keep blowing every time,
then I suspect that the PSU board is faulty. I suggest you chuck
the PSU and get a new one.

Possibly it is supposed to be SB?

Tom
Andy Cuffe

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:08:11 -0400, "kip" wrote:

Well if the correct fuse value blows then its obvious that the PS has
problems.
If you need that type why not just buy fuses with pigtails...

I find that filing the ends of the fuse provides a surface that will
take solder quickly enough so that you don't damage the fuse.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
Kerry

"dave chiew" wrote in message
:
: The Dude: "Adoi! These people talk about soldering iron tak habis-
: habis!"
:
: -dave chiew (hehehe)

Bitter memory eh! Dave......

adchin

Kerry wrote:

Bitter memory eh! Dave......

I believe it wasn't Dave's nose that got pierced with the iron, thought
it was the postman
七少爷Seventh Prince

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Could it be the rectifier is faulty?

I know now that the problem is not with the thin insulated signal wire.
Have tried with other wires and the fuse keeps blowing.

Could I use any wires for soldering fuses? Thanks.
七少爷Seventh Prince

Am planning to solder fuse holder via wires to the PSU board as the
layout of the board for the original 2A PCB solderable fuse is smaller
than typical glass fuse.
John G

"???Seventh Prince" wrote in message
Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Could it be the rectifier is faulty?

I know now that the problem is not with the thin insulated signal
wire. Have tried with other wires and the fuse keeps blowing.

Could I use any wires for soldering fuses? Thanks.

I think you have been told before but you did not listen..

If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device.
If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device.

The wire you use to connect the fuse will NOT make it blow and will be
fine for the job if the fuse blows and the wire does not burn.
Caution: If this fuse is at 240volts then the wires must be clear of
anything else or properly insulated.

If the fuse blows again the problem is somewhere else in your device or
you are using the wrong fuse.

The power supply may very likely need a SloBlo fuse as the inrush
current could be as high as hundreds of amps for a short time.

You really have not given anyone much of a chance of helping you because
you are stuck on the connecting wire problem.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

OLD pc user

My advice is find out why the fuse keeps blowing first then replace with the
original one.
Soldering iron is used for the nose (somebody's) only hehe.

-old PC User-

"???Seventh Prince" wrote in message
Am planning to solder fuse holder via wires to the PSU board as the layout
of the board for the original 2A PCB solderable fuse is smaller than
typical glass fuse.

gb

"Seventh Prince" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Any advise for How to solder live 2A glass fuse to Power supply board
in exchange for the PCB solder 2A fuse. And what type of power wire
should be used to connect the glass fuse to the PSU board? I need to
solder the wire to the glass fuse in order for further soldering to the
PSU board.

Have tried with thin insulated signal wire and ceramic fuse wire but
PSU will blow out fuse each time. AC voltage is 240V.

Thanks.

Most good radio/TV shops have this fuse (pigtail version) in stock for TV
chassis. An ordinary 5x20 mm or 3AG holder can be substitutes IF the
VOLTAGE ratings of the holder are greater than the circuit's voltage.

gb

James Sweet

"???Seventh Prince" wrote in message
Am planning to solder fuse holder via wires to the PSU board as the
layout of the board for the original 2A PCB solderable fuse is smaller
than typical glass fuse.

It's easy enough to do, but if the fuse blew there's something else wrong
you'll have to fix first.

七少爷Seventh Prince

Oh, I did not see the 2A rating. Sorry. This is an internal fuse which
means that something is not right with the current limiter circuit.

2A 250V relay type fuse which is expensive (RM1 each). The advise from
my superior is that the rectifier is faulty.

What type of PSU is it, any id? Maybe there is a schematic for it.

There's a marking "TPG40/65H" . It is a typical DC12V PSU. Newer PSU
models are made by Meanwell.

And, could I use 470 Ohm preset in place of original 500 Ohm ones?

Thanks
gb

"???Seventh Prince" wrote in message

Oh, I did not see the 2A rating. Sorry. This is an internal fuse which
means that something is not right with the current limiter circuit.

2A 250V relay type fuse which is expensive (RM1 each). The advise from my
superior is that the rectifier is faulty.

A DVM or VOM can determine this in less than 20 seconds !

Got one?

Linear Power Supply education and troubleshooting
http://www.kbt-dc-supplies.com/index.php

gb