Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

Default Magnaclean question

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 +0000, nrh wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

a) Yes,
b) Neither.

There is a removable part where all the debris *that is magnetic* will be
trapped. The magnet does not come into contact with the water. The debris
can be disposed of.

Note that really severe corrosion is non magnetic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In news Ed Sirett scribed:

a) Yes,
b) Neither.

There is a removable part where all the debris *that is magnetic* will be
trapped. The magnet does not come into contact with the water. The debris
can be disposed of.

Note that really severe corrosion is non magnetic.

Thanks (again!) Ed. As I am keen to protect my newly installed secondary
heat exchanger from further blockages by the black 'rust' before I can renew
my rusting old rads in the summer, I was hoping this might prove to be the
answer. I've got some Sentinel x400 swilling around in there at the moment,
but obviously I can't leave it in for months on end. Nor do I really want to
add an inhibitor in a couple of weeks time when I come to flush it all out,
only to dump it when I change the rads. Still, for the price, I guess it
isn't too much hardship. Just weighing up the pro's and cons at the mo,
really.

Cheers
Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:48:34 +0000, nrh wrote:

Thanks (again!) Ed. As I am keen to protect my newly installed secondary
heat exchanger from further blockages by the black 'rust' before I can renew
my rusting old rads in the summer, I was hoping this might prove to be the
answer. I've got some Sentinel x400 swilling around in there at the moment,
but obviously I can't leave it in for months on end.

I think you can, actually.

Nor do I really want to
add an inhibitor in a couple of weeks time when I come to flush it all out,
only to dump it when I change the rads.

A 'wasted' pack of inhibitor will be cheaper than £80!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In news John Stumbles scribed:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:48:34 +0000, nrh wrote:

I think you can, actually.

Hmm, not wot it says on the tin tho. "Min 48 hours (!!) / Max 4 weeks". Any
further comment?

A 'wasted' pack of inhibitor will be cheaper than £80!

Yep, too true.

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"nrh" wrote in message
.uk...
In news John Stumbles scribed:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:48:34 +0000, nrh wrote:

I think you can, actually.

Hmm, not wot it says on the tin tho. "Min 48 hours (!!) / Max 4 weeks".
Any
further comment?

A 'wasted' pack of inhibitor will be cheaper than £80!

Yep, too true.

Inhibitor wears off, the Magnaclean filter works all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"nrh" wrote in message
.uk...
In news Ed Sirett scribed:

a) Yes,
b) Neither.

There is a removable part where all the debris *that is magnetic* will be
trapped. The magnet does not come into contact with the water. The debris
can be disposed of.

Note that really severe corrosion is non magnetic.

Thanks (again!) Ed. As I am keen to protect
my newly installed secondary heat exchanger
from further blockages by the black 'rust' before
I can renew my rusting old rads in the summer,
I was hoping this might prove to be the
answer.

It is.

I've got some Sentinel x400 swilling around
in there at the moment, but obviously I can't
leave it in for months on end. Nor do I really want to
add an inhibitor in a couple of weeks time
when I come to flush it all out, only to dump it
when I change the rads. Still, for the price, I guess it
isn't too much hardship. Just weighing up the
pro's and cons at the mo, really.

Install one now. they are easy to fit. It will take all the crap out if the
system. Install, and clean after one week, then every month until the
boiler change. 3 weeks before the boiler change install X-400. Leave the
filter still in, or relocate, after the boiler change. then install X-100.

Use disposable gloves when cleaning the filters and have a bucket under.
nasty gooey stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 GMT, "nrh" wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

This seems to be the natural successor to those magic water softeners,
where a few turns of wire around the pipe with a current flowing in it
solves all your hard water problems but empties your wallet.

It's a magnet. It only collects magnetic particles. It does bugger all
for the rest of the tripe in the pipes.

I wish I had thought of it and become rich, but I thought it too
simple a con to fool people. (

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:04:52 GMT, EricP
wrote:

It's a magnet. It only collects magnetic particles. It does bugger all
for the rest of the tripe in the pipes.

So it removes magnetite sludge in that case.

Presumably it also removes any heavier-than-water particles too.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

wrote:

It's a magnet. It only collects magnetic particles. It does bugger all
for the rest of the tripe in the pipes.

So it removes magnetite sludge in that case.

Presumably it also removes any heavier-than-water particles too.

Only particles of Nickle, Cobalt etc. uncommon contaminants IME.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

It's a magnet. It only collects magnetic particles. It does bugger all
for the rest of the tripe in the pipes.

So it removes magnetite sludge in that case.

Presumably it also removes any heavier-than-water particles too.

sponix

It removes all particles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:04:52 +0000, EricP wrote:

[...]

This is not a con in the sense that an alternative (and unverifiable) set
of physics laws are being claimed for its method of operation.
Magnetism on magnetic debris is not witchcraft, the effect of magnets on
the propensity of water to deposit CaCO3 & MgCO3 out of solution when
heated might well be.

My beef is that, it is unnecessary, and where needed most it will neither
have been installed already nor will it work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

They are well worth installing on boiler changes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In reenews.net,
Doctor Drivel scribed:

They are well worth installing on boiler changes.

why just "on boiler changes", if that is what you are implying? I have NO
intention of retiring my 8yo Vaillant just yet, TYVM! ;-)

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"nrh" wrote in message
.uk...
In reenews.net,
Doctor Drivel scribed:

They are well worth installing on boiler changes.

why just "on boiler changes", if that is what you are implying? I have NO
intention of retiring my 8yo Vaillant just yet, TYVM! ;-)

You will when it sludges up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

EricP wrote:

I wish I had thought of it and become rich, but I thought it too
simple a con to fool people. (

Does this one remove Snake Oil?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"EricP" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 GMT, "nrh" wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

This seems to be

It seems you know little about it. They really do work, and work very well.
They make all the CH water very clean indeed.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrh
Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel
Ive fitted a few of these now and they are good.certainly warrant the £80 price tag.They will only collect magnetite sludge and not reduce scale etc but thats not what there purpose is for.You only fit them on the ch pipework and not the domestic water side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"gasgard" wrote in message

nrh Wrote:
Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a
new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Ive fitted a few of these now and they are good.certainly warrant the
£80 price tag.They will only collect magnetite sludge and not reduce
scale etc but thats not what there purpose is for.You only fit them on
the ch pipework and not the domestic water side.

They also pick up non-magnetic solids too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:48:43 +0000, gasgard wrote:

nrh Wrote:
Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a
new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Ive fitted a few of these now and they are good.certainly warrant the
£80 price tag.They will only collect magnetite sludge and not reduce
scale etc but thats not what there purpose is for.You only fit them on
the ch pipework and not the domestic water side.

Since you've fitted one and I haven't I'll defer to your opinion.
I suppose they could be useful where proper flushing and draining
is not an option but something needs doing right now.
I just can't think where that would be the case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In news Ed Sirett scribed:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:48:43 +0000, gasgard wrote:

Ive fitted a few of these now and they are good.certainly warrant the
£80 price tag.They will only collect magnetite sludge and not reduce
scale etc but thats not what there purpose is for.You only fit them on
the ch pipework and not the domestic water side.

Since you've fitted one and I haven't I'll defer to your opinion.
I suppose they could be useful where proper flushing and draining
is not an option but something needs doing right now.
I just can't think where that would be the case?

I have now located the obligatory (82 megabyte!) video!
http://www.magnaclean.co.uk/seeitwork.shtml
I have to say that watching it reminded me a little of one of those
knife-selling type demonstrations you see at trade shows or in department
stores, & which make you feel that you cannot possibly manage without one.
But, just exactly *what* was in that black sludge that so obligingly clung
to the magnet? Freshly ground iron filings? If I don't go right ahead and
buy one now, am I to be considered neither a "perfectionist" nor a
"professional"? Dear me, can't have that! Now, where's my credit card?......

:-)
Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

news

nrh Wrote:
[...]

In 5 years time when the inhibitor is not renewed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 GMT, "nrh" wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 GMT, "nrh" wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

Spirovent which has no magnet....and is expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In reenews.net,
Doctor Drivel scribed:
"sPoNiX" wrote in message

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

Spirovent which has no magnet....and is expensive.

So which is the best one for not only prevention but cure?

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"nrh" wrote in message
.uk...
In reenews.net,
Doctor Drivel scribed:
"sPoNiX" wrote in message

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

http://www.fernox.com/boilerbuddy/fl...stallation.pdf

More expensive and you need pump valves too. The Magnaclean can be DIY
cleaned.

Anyone know of alternatives?

Spirovent which has no magnet....and is expensive.

So which is the best one for not only prevention but cure?

Magnaclean does work. I have no feedback on the Fernox. Spirovent is used
extensively in commercial systems. Alpha boilers now have a spiral
(cyclone) filter fitted as standard in their boilers. Solids in CH water is
a big problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In reenews.net,
Doctor Drivel scribed:

Magnaclean does work. I have no feedback on the Fernox. Spirovent is used
extensively in commercial systems. Alpha boilers now have a spiral
(cyclone) filter fitted as standard in their boilers. Solids in CH water
is a big problem.

Thanks ;-)

On a related note, would you know how Sentinel X-400 Desludger actually
works? Does it dissolve the rust particles, or merely cause them to remain
in suspension so that they can be more easily flushed out?

Nigel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nrh

In ,
Andy Hall scribed:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:34:43 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

Pocket Pal - Drivel has one.

LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"nrh" wrote in message
.uk...
In ,
Andy Hall scribed:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:34:43 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

Pocket Pal - Drivel has one.

LOL

If you laughed at that you need attention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:34:43 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:06:05 GMT, "nrh" wrote:

Would anyone please be able to advise re this product?
I came upon it in the B.E.S. Winter flyer, and wondered if it:
a) Installs as a permanent in-line fixture?
b) Is a non-renewable filter cartridge based system or does it need a new
cartridge periodically?

Copy of ad he
http://tinyurl.com/abexw

tia anyone.
Nigel

Fernox do an alternative called the "Boiler buddy".

Anyone know of alternatives?

Pocket Pal - Drivel has one.

Just because he has hair around his mouth he thinks he can talk like c**nt.
Sad isn't it.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM