Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

Default what type of pipe is this?

Hi folks,

I am going to be replacing my kitchen soon and am at the planning stage
at the moment. I have under my kitchen sink the main water supply and
stopcock for the house, this branches off and goes to all of the
important places where water is required. The pipe in question is black
and feels like thick plastic, I think it is 22mm but have not measured
it (yet). The pipe directly feeds my sink taps and has (what looks like)
standard compression fittings on it that T off for washing machine /
dish washer connectors. I need to know what type of pipe this is and if
i require special inserts etc for the compression fittings... (I know
that i could remove the ones i have and look but I would rather not
disturb anything for now).

I have spoken to a plumber that i vaguely know and he said that it
sounded like (he hasn't seen it) 'Acorn' pipe... i have never heard of
that and googling for it didnt bring up any obvious answers.

All help and advice much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Cuprager
writes
Hi folks,

I am going to be replacing my kitchen soon and am at the planning stage
at the moment. I have under my kitchen sink the main water supply and
stopcock for the house, this branches off and goes to all of the
important places where water is required. The pipe in question is black
and feels like thick plastic, I think it is 22mm but have not measured
it (yet). The pipe directly feeds my sink taps and has (what looks
like) standard compression fittings on it that T off for washing
machine / dish washer connectors. I need to know what type of pipe this
is and if i require special inserts etc for the compression fittings...

It sounds like old '1/2 inch' black alkathene pipe, which is/was 21.5 mm
OD.

As it happens there has been a recent thread relating to this

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...ec66eda22b4cff
79/5717b64d89082957#5717b64d89082957

Where Andy Wade points out a potentially useful previous thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...5e0629cf0c258e
6c/2c4ab31044e13950

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

chris French wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chris, I had not spotted that!

In Deep Sh*t.... Lobster UK diy 9 August 2nd 05 09:30 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM