Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol

Default Clarke CDP451F Drill Press

Has anyone any good or bad experiences of this product?

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin

Capitol wrote in message ...
Has anyone any good or bad experiences of this product?

Regards
Capitol

Only buy one you have inspected in person. Extend the quill to max, grip the
chuck and give it a good yank from side to side and back to front.
Decide if the degree of slackness is acceptable to your drilling accuracy
needs. Any perceptable shack will normally mean chatter and three cornered
holes when working in sheet metal.

The above applies to most imported machines where the design has minimal
quill support at full extension and often the castings are not accurately
machined either.

For the same sort of money, a quality secondhand brand should be obtainable.
Look at meddings, fobco, elliott etc. to get a whole load more drill for
your money.

hth

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Only buy one you have inspected in person. Extend the quill to max, grip the
chuck and give it a good yank from side to side and back to front.

I wish I'd asked you before I bought mine! Mine looked great and felt
solid and heavy but once the quill had moved down half an inch (quite
common when drilling holes) it flaps around like a flag in the wind and
my circles are three cornered.

I have learned from my mistakes a few times now and I only buy good
tools. I work on the principle that you can buy a good tool for a good
price or a cheap tool followed by a good tool (when the cheap one
breaks) for the price of a good tool + the price of the cheap tool.

In my opinion, cheap tools are actually quite expensive because you
have to buy a proper one to replace them but if you just buy a proper
one to start with, it lasts forever and you don't have to buy the cheap
one.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
mike wrote:
Only buy one you have inspected in person. Extend the quill to max,
grip the chuck and give it a good yank from side to side and back to
front.

I wish I'd asked you before I bought mine! Mine looked great and felt
solid and heavy but once the quill had moved down half an inch (quite
common when drilling holes) it flaps around like a flag in the wind and
my circles are three cornered.

Same with my el cheapo NuTool. It has a grub screw to take up the slack -
but unfortunately the groove this runs in was less than well machined.
Stripped it down and got the groove made properly. Vast difference. Not as
good as a decent one in the first place, but ok for 40 quid and much
better than a drill stand that takes an electric drill.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.