Posted to uk.d-i-y
SiGreen10

Default auto removing messages

Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is
lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article . com,
"SiGreen10" writes:
Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is
lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

Expiry is a matter for the news server. Articles can include
expiry date, but few do. Since you are accessing this newsgroup
via Google which doesn't expire any articles, I can't really
work out what you're trying to say.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
SiGreen10 wrote:
Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is
lost.

Automatic expiry is surely a function of your newsreader and can be set to
what you want? Unless you're just downloading headers. If you don't,
you're going to have a lot to store.

The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

You use Google for that.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Carver

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"SiGreen10" writes:

Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is
lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

Expiry is a matter for the news server. Articles can include
expiry date, but few do. Since you are accessing this newsgroup
via Google which doesn't expire any articles, I can't really
work out what you're trying to say.

Some people set 'X Archive No' in their headers, this means their message is
only visible in Google for 7 days after posting

Example:- (valid only until Jan 9th 06)

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....dfa469af4b8a9b

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

SiGreen10 wrote:
Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information
is lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

You need to learn about server retention.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 2 Jan 2006 06:30:59 -0800, SiGreen10 wrote:

Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages

Chances are the expiry is ignored by the servers anyway.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 06:30:59 -0800, SiGreen10 wrote:

Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a
group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is
lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really
useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is
worth leaving on!

The ' Internet ' does not save anything!!. Servers do though and their
capacity is finite.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

I set it because Usenet is not a medium of record. Do you *really* want
your conversations down the pub recorded and shown on the BBC in 20 years?
Because that's what Google is doing (metaphorically speaking.)

So you object to someone searching for the answer to a problem which was
answered on Usenet a year or so ago ?. This has been going on for years,
is it really such a problem or do you have something to hide, in which
case don't say it on Usenet.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Huge wrote:
Dave Stanton wrote:
So you object to someone searching for the answer to a problem which was
answered on Usenet a year or so ago ?. This has been going on for years,
is it really such a problem or do you have something to hide, in which
case don't say it on Usenet.

People who think that "the innocent have nothing to hide" are arseholes,
and plonked.

Who said that? It *really* doesn't matter whether you set
a "retention", or "xna=y", or whatever - if you post *at
all*, your "contribution" is fair game for archive by
somebody or another, as I'm sure you know well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I set it because Usenet is not a medium of record. Do you *really*
want your conversations down the pub recorded and shown on the BBC in
20 years? Because that's what Google is doing (metaphorically
speaking.)

So you object to someone searching for the answer to a problem which
was answered on Usenet a year or so ago ?. This has been going on for
years, is it really such a problem or do you have something to hide,
in which case don't say it on Usenet.

People who think that "the innocent have nothing to hide" are arseholes,
and plonked.

;-)

Some of us couldn't give a toss who reads our ramblings.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I set it because Usenet is not a medium of record. Do you *really*
want your conversations down the pub recorded and shown on the BBC in
20 years? Because that's what Google is doing (metaphorically
speaking.)

So you object to someone searching for the answer to a problem which
was answered on Usenet a year or so ago ?. This has been going on for
years, is it really such a problem or do you have something to hide,
in which case don't say it on Usenet.

People who think that "the innocent have nothing to hide" are arseholes,
and plonked.

;-)

Some of us couldn't give a toss who reads our ramblings.

Otherwise we wouldn't post them, would we ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

People who think that "the innocent have nothing to hide" are arseholes,
and plonked.

Bye, arsehole.

WOW, I have been plonked and I am a arsehole,Whoopee!!

Dave