Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy saving lamps

Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am
currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this at
screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it might
come in usefull,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...95515&id=19417.
It says it has a long-life 2D lamp. 38W = 150W GLS. I am assuming GLS
is the equivilent to a standard tungsten bulb but wondered what GLS
meant, and why is the energy savng bulb measured in a different way,
i.e why is the output wattage lower for an enery saving bulb or why is
it measured differently?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:
Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am
currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this
at screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it
might come in usefull,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...95515&id=19417.
It says it has a long-life 2D lamp. 38W = 150W GLS. I am assuming GLS
is the equivilent to a standard tungsten bulb but wondered what GLS
meant, and why is the energy savng bulb measured in a different way,
i.e why is the output wattage lower for an enery saving bulb or why is
it measured differently?

Why not buy one of these and run it of a car battery.
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc...t.A/id.7667/.f
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message .com,
writes
Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am
currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this at
screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it might
come in usefull,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...95515&id=19417.
It says it has a long-life 2D lamp. 38W = 150W GLS. I am assuming GLS
is the equivilent to a standard tungsten bulb but wondered what GLS
meant,

General Lighting Service - basically a 'normal' light bulb.

and why is the energy savng bulb measured in a different way,
i.e why is the output wattage lower for an enery saving bulb or why is
it measured differently?

Because it is the power consumed that is measured not the output.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am
currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this at
screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it might
come in usefull,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...95515&id=19417.
It says it has a long-life 2D lamp. 38W = 150W GLS. I am assuming GLS
is the equivilent to a standard tungsten bulb but wondered what GLS
meant, and why is the energy savng bulb measured in a different way,
i.e why is the output wattage lower for an enery saving bulb or why is
it measured differently?

I've had one for a couple of years and it has been very useful - doesn't
give the same light as a halogen flood (what does?) but is good and much
more robust. A 12v DC 230v AC (car) convertor will also drive it, so it
can, and has, been used out on the road when my son's van broke down :-(
(hello dad I'm only 85 miles away and I need a new regulator - how soon can
you get here!)

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Peter Andrews wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for an alternative for the 500w halogen floodlight as I am
currently working outside and its stiil getting dark early. Saw this at
screwfix and although nowhere near as powerfull thought that it might
come in usefull,

I've had one for a couple of years and it has been very useful - doesn't
give the same light as a halogen flood (what does?) but is good and much

There are large 'energy saving' lights, aimed at industry (and the home
closet horticulturalist).
Going to http://rswww.com/ and entering son-t in the search box should
turn up something.
A 150W bulb of this sort will output about the same light as the 500W.
However.
If you can arrange it so you are spot lighting the area you work in of course
that'll be more efiecinty.