Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

Default Silicone

Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

what kind of surface?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:25:42 -0000, R.P.McMurphy wrote:

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

what kind of surface?

Steve

OLD wood. I have an attic window which I cannot afford to replace. The wood
is original and allows water through on the front where I can reach. I
applied silicone and smoothed it in with my finger and it appears to have
worked. I would like to be prepared in case I have missed a bit.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
someone here

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not

peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?

what kind of surface?

Steve

OLD wood. I have an attic window which I cannot afford to replace. The

wood
is original and allows water through on the front where I can reach. I
applied silicone and smoothed it in with my finger and it appears to have
worked. I would like to be prepared in case I have missed a bit.

FlexAcryl or similar. A flexible waterproof 'paint'.

Used by councils to repair flat roofing, also used on vertical surfaces.
Think several thin coats rather than one thick one.

HTH

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
[...]

I would have been tempted not to use silicon, but a paintable mastic or
similar sealant instead and then give it a generous coat of gloss paint. I
don't think anything will paint over silicon unless it is a thin bead which
you can put a thick bead of mastic over the top which bridges the silicon,
then let it skin over and then paint. is thewindow frame very visible?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

what kind of surface?

OLD wood. I have an attic window which I cannot afford to replace. The wood
is original and allows water through on the front where I can reach. I
applied silicone and smoothed it in with my finger and it appears to have
worked. I would like to be prepared in case I have missed a bit.

I have had interesting results using acetoxy cure silicone (the one that smells
like vinegar when it cures) thinned with white spirit, to a yogurt like
consistency, for painting on stuff.
However, while this does provide a film, that will stick to silicone, I
don't know of its long term stability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Scott

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Me too really, but I was desperate to find the leak and stop it and that's
what I had to hand at the time. It might peel of if necessary.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message , Jim Scott
writes
Two questions:

Is there a paint which you can use over silicone filler that does not peel
off?

Can I get a thinner less rapid drying silicone that I can paint on to a
surface to waterproof it?

Dig out any rotten wood on the window frame, replace with a decent wood
filler (if the filler is not two pack/two part then it's probably not
decent).

Having finished packing, sanding back etc, seal the frame edges with
frame sealant (the name gives it's purpose away) and then protect the
wood however you see fit. Gloss, varnish etc.

Silicon works well in many situations, but rotten or rotting wood isn't
one of them.

Hth
Someone