Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
I-hate-crowds

Default Special boxing day DIY bargains

I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

HELP: Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing
Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the
store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the
quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or
maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen
a peep from those two?

Thanks for any info.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
nobby

geez - you need to get a life pal

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I-hate-crowds wrote:
I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

But is that 15% off every £50 spent?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
nobby

even more pathetic is your name .. to hide your real identity

obviously ashamed of such a daft question

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
steeler

"I-hate-crowds" wrote in message
I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

HELP: Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing
Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the
store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the
quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or
maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen
a peep from those two?

It is 15% off £50 or more. Homebase have the same but also a base 10% off
anything.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:11:51 GMT, Joe Smith wrote:

On Mon 26 Dec 2005 12:16:10, steeler wrote:

It is 15% off œ50 or more. Homebase have the same but also a
base 10% off anything.

Probably either/or. Hotukdeals says:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/News+index...4-topic-.phtml

"10-15% off at Homebase today (instore)

Today you can get 10% off your order instore at Homebase. If your
order is over £50 you will get 15% off."

What is the origin of this word "instore" ?

It seems to be the province of the marketeers in supermarkets of all
kinds and doesn't seem to be a real word.

Almost as false as the "savings" that they attempt to promote.

--

..andy

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , I-hate-crowds
writes
I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

HELP: Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing
Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the
store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the
quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or
maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen
a peep from those two?

Dunno grasshopper

don't you work for them then ?

go and do a reccee and come back with a comprehensive report

--
geoff
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Andy Hall wrote:

What is the origin of this word "instore" ?

Good question! I thought it was probably American - but it's not in Bill
Gates' dictionary - even the US version.

I presume it is meant to imply the opposite of online - relating to
somewhere where you go physically to make your purchase, rather than
ordering it remotely - to be delivered by a courier.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:23:57 -0000, "Set Square"

Andy Hall wrote:

What is the origin of this word "instore" ?

Good question! I thought it was probably American - but it's not in Bill
Gates' dictionary - even the US version.

I presume it is meant to imply the opposite of online - relating to
somewhere where you go physically to make your purchase, rather than
ordering it remotely - to be delivered by a courier.

I couldn't accuse the *******isers of the English language either this
time.

I suspect laziness.

It probably started as "in the store", then "in store" and finally the
fateful "instore".

I blame it on management colleges and MBAs.

--

..andy

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
sponix

But is that 15% off every £50 spent?

It's 15% off if u spend over £50.

Homebase is 10% of every spend up to £50 or 15% over £50. However, their
prices are more expensive to begin with..

sponix

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Davao

"I-hate-crowds" wrote in message
I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

HELP: Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing
Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the
store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the
quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or
maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen
a peep from those two?

Thanks for any info.

http://www.diy.com/
On the Special Offers page, you will see prominently displayed,
Ebony Granite Butt joint for kitchen worktops. £7. WHOOOO!
Now thats what you call an Incentive!
You might as well picture me screeching to a stop outside the my local B &
Q,
flinging open the car door, leaving the hand brake off while a hurtle
through the doors
and throwing myself over the turnstyle gates while simulataneously slinging
£5 grand in tenners into the air..screaming, KITCHEN ME and KITCHEN ME NOW
YOU SUCKERS.
And all this while still in me vest and jim jams.

Arthur

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

Set Square wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

What is the origin of this word "instore" ?

Good question! I thought it was probably American - but it's not in Bill
Gates' dictionary - even the US version.

I presume it is meant to imply the opposite of online - relating to
somewhere where you go physically to make your purchase, rather than
ordering it remotely - to be delivered by a courier.
--

I've often wondered about "instore". I first heard it several years ago
on the annoying tapes that got played in the cheapo shops that now fill

But I digress. The tape ran "... cheaper than the shop instore price
...." I could only conclude that it was some mythical place like their
one branch the all-year-round sale shops used to refer themselves to to
stay legal. The tape also contained the phrase: "Someone has just asked
how we can sell at these prices, ..." but I never saw anyone ask the
tape recorder. The giveaway was that you heard the identical speel in
every shop you went in, miles apart. I haven't heard it lately.

Chris

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

I couldn't accuse the *******isers of the English language either this
time.

I suspect laziness.

It probably started as "in the store", then "in store" and finally the
fateful "instore".

I blame it on management colleges and MBAs.

That's the wonder and strength of the English language matey. It constantly
evolves and changes and has done for close on 2000 years.

And the reason that English is the most widely spoken language in the world
is largely due to the British Empire and our American cousins.

Dave

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
sponix

"nobby" wrote in message
oups.com...

even more pathetic is your name .. to hide your real identity

So your REAL name is Nobby? Sheesh!

LOL!

sponix

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
sponix

wrote in message
oups.com...

There must be a name for these, maybe "pound
stores", except that not all have everything at £1; "general store" is
the best I can come up with".

"Cheap-sh1t-shop"..

sponix

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
Dave

david lang wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I couldn't accuse the *******isers of the English language either this
time.

I suspect laziness.

It probably started as "in the store", then "in store" and finally the
fateful "instore".

I blame it on management colleges and MBAs.

That's the wonder and strength of the English language matey. It constantly
evolves and changes and has done for close on 2000 years.

And the reason that English is the most widely spoken language in the world
is largely due to the British Empire and our American cousins.

Since when, in the last 300 years, have out Merkin cousins spoke 'English' ?

They are our most destructive enemies of our language.

First they go to the North Americas, then name parts of it the united
states, then they claim it to be America.

Now, they pollute our developed language with their stagnated version of
English.

I was in an English supermarket today and one child had a talking toy.
What language was this toy talking to him/her?

Merkin.

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular
to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Rant mode off :-)

Dave

Dave

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y
wildcard

ok, try this...

find a B&Q that's about to shut down..

go to the checkouts, they may have a stack of A4 leaflets that say £10 off
£50 or more at 'blah' B&Q warehouse somewhere up the road. Go there, use
the voucher and also enjoy the current 15% off £50+...... potential
savings.... 35%

"I-hate-crowds" wrote in message
I hardly ever go to the Christmas sales.

But this year I'm tempted by the adverts for 15% off DIY goods at
B&Q. http://www.diy.com/

HELP: Is this deal something worth rushing off to B&Q today (Boxing
Day) or am I likely to go straight in to crowds of shoppers in the
store?

HELP: I see B&Q's offer goes on till 2nd Jan. When would be the
quietest time to go before then?

HELP: But is B&Q likely to have very low stocks later this week? Or
maybe they get deliveries over this holdiay period.

Are Homebase or Focus doing special offers? I haven't heard or seen
a peep from those two?

Thanks for any info.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular
to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:35:12 +0000, F
wrote:

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular
to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

"deplaning momentarily"
"repurpose"
"leverage" (as a verb)

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Andy Hall wrote:

"deplaning momentarily"
"repurpose"
"leverage" (as a verb)

Upcoming.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular
to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

Merkins don't speak English. I should get used to it, were I you.

Reminds me of the interview of John Cleese on the Jay Leno show,
where he was asked what he thought the differences were between the
British and Merkins.

He replied:

- "We speak English, you don't"

- "When we hold a World Series, we remember to invite other countries"

- "When we greet our leader, we only go down on one knee"

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

wrote:

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word regular
to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

john

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

wrote:

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word
regular to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

"deplaning momentarily"
"repurpose"

"leverage" (as a verb)

.. . especially when pronounced "levverage" !!!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:22:48 -0000, "Set Square"

wrote:

On 27/12/2005 20:29 Dave wrote:

As a regular reader of this ng I object to the use of the word
regular to mean a normal sized portion/drink.

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

"deplaning momentarily"
"repurpose"

"leverage" (as a verb)

. . especially when pronounced "levverage" !!!

Exactly. It's like scraping fingernails down a blackboard.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

john wrote:

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

But that's precisely the point. English is a constantly evolving language,
without Shakespeare's blatant disregard for 'English' as it was then, we
wouldn't have the English we enjoy now.

English is constantly evolving and changing - that is it's beauty and it's
strength.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

john wrote:

Almost as bad as 'gotten'. Ugh!

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

In my book, "gotten" is ok as an adjective - as in "ill-gotten gains" - but
*not* as a verb - as in "I have gotten a new car".

It's the latter - Americanized(!) - usage to which we object.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:29:37 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

john wrote:

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

But that's precisely the point. English is a constantly evolving language,
without Shakespeare's blatant disregard for 'English' as it was then, we
wouldn't have the English we enjoy now.

Yes but that's different. At least he was British....

English is constantly evolving and changing - that is it's beauty and it's
strength.

Dave

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:29:37 UTC, "david lang"
wrote:

john wrote:

How about "ill-gotten gains". Probably in Shakespeare.

But that's precisely the point. English is a constantly evolving language,
without Shakespeare's blatant disregard for 'English' as it was then, we
wouldn't have the English we enjoy now.

English is constantly evolving and changing - that is it's beauty and it's
strength.

But that evolution doesn't usually include two gratuitous apostrophes!