Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hygena Washer Dryer, Vibrating Violently

I have a Hygena (Apm8721) integrated Washer/Dryer about 8 years old;
It has started vibrating very badly on the higher spin cycles; the
concrete counter weight is bashing the front of machine when spinning.

My initial thought was the bracket had sheared, this happened with the
first unit, which was replaced under warranty (design fault, made
weight too small when designing cut out for the plinth). Lifting the
machine reveals that the counter weight and bracket is intact, springs
are in place.

Called bloke from local paper, who confirmed above; he said the spider
has probably broken and its in the drum, so very hard to get to, so
it's a new machine.

Is this a DIY repair? What would be involved? Its £600 notes for a
new machine. Would the parts be expensive, would I have to buy them
from MFI?

What are the chances of a successful repair? This would be the first
time I would be attempting this type of repair.

I am still using the machine, except that I put it on the 500 spin
cycle when it starts bashing around; Funny thing is, very occasionally
it goes normally through 1200 spin cycle, without any vibration.
Machine is level!

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

The3rd Earl Of Derby
Dec 11, 4:09 am show options

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: "The3rd Earl Of Derby" - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:09:11 GMT
Subject: Hygena Washer Dryer, Vibrating Violently
original | Report Abuse

wrote:
I have a Hygena (Apm8721) integrated Washer/Dryer about 8 years old;
It has started vibrating very badly on the higher spin cycles; the
concrete counter weight is bashing the front of machine when spinning.

[snip]

-Have you checked the dampers? also check that the brick nut/bolts are
tight
-with a spanner if you have not done this?
Now checked, these are OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

snip

Have you checked the dampers? also check that the brick nut/bolts are
tight
with a spanner if you have not done this?

-The Spider is the drum support and shaft on the rear of the inner
drum, the
-machine is made by Servis and is riveted to the drum.
-Peter

Bummer, new machine then?

recomendations for a repalcement, don't need dryer bit. Other half
wanst an intragrated one :-(

Bosh, Indesit, hoover, hotpoint or even Hygena?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

I replaced my horrid integrated Hygena washer-dryer with an ordinary
(non-integrated) Miele washer 5 years ago. Bliss...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

I like to buy a non integrated one, but the wife is adament she wants
one where we can put a door on it :-(

If I had the choice a miele or a £200 cheap machine to throw away and
repalce every 4 years.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The problem is nothing to do with the spider that supports the drum.
The fact that it will sometimes spin at 1200 confirms this beyond
doubt. That leaves 2 options:
1. your dampers arent damping enough
2. a fixing point has become detached.

Its nearly always the former. It would cost a small fraction of £600
in time to fix it, and replacement parts would be 2 figures.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

its now doing it all the time; I will check again this weekend. All
fixing were in place, I didn't check the dampers to see if they were
soft.

Washing machine bloke seemed to check evrerything!

Regards

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigBrian wrote:
its now doing it all the time; I will check again this weekend. All
fixing were in place, I didn't check the dampers to see if they were
soft.

Washing machine bloke seemed to check evrerything!

Regards

Brian

You wont be able to tell if the dampers are good or not unless youre
more familiar with the machines. If theyre still damping, but not
enough, as is usually the way, it will shake. Just replace.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

BigBrian wrote:
I like to buy a non integrated one, but the wife is adament she wants
one where we can put a door on it :-(

If I had the choice a miele or a ?200 cheap machine to throw away and
repalce every 4 years.

You can put a door on any machine - as long as you're willing to have
a seperate door for it, and then open the washing machine door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

Used it yesterday, noise is actually comming from back of drum, now
even on the wash cycle. My wife came home and said she could hear it
half down the street. After the wash had finished, the cloths came out
wet and soapy. Now there is a lot of play in moving it back anfd
forward and it makes a lot of noise when turning it by hand. I asssume
the spider has now well and truly gone.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigBrian wrote:
Used it yesterday, noise is actually comming from back of drum, now
even on the wash cycle. My wife came home and said she could hear it
half down the street. After the wash had finished, the cloths came out
wet and soapy. Now there is a lot of play in moving it back anfd
forward and it makes a lot of noise when turning it by hand. I asssume
the spider has now well and truly gone.

Brian

then I think its time you leave it to a professional.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

Bought an AEG from John Lewis direct £499 ouch! Was going to get a
Hotpoint or indesit for £380ish, but was put off after reading the
following site http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-w...-machines.html

Almost tempted by a Miele for £780 with a five warranty, or £980 for
one with a 10 year warranty, but got put off, loads of money to pay for
a washing machine. These were all integrated models; though the hygena
cost me an original £200(deal with new kitchen), £200 notes for a 5
year warranty, plus two times £85 for the subsequent years warranty,
so that's £570 for 8 years of use and hassle of about 10 call outs.
Didn't take it for this last year, though if I did, it would have
expired in November and not sure if I would have taken it out again,
machine started dieing beginning of December. If miele model do last
and are reliable, then it may have been a worthwhile investment.

Anyway, the Aeg is in after two hours of cursing, loosening, bashing of
adjacent units. Washed several loads, including one with all the
household rugs, mats etc, which used to make the hyenga go mad, the AEG
was smooth and quite.

Problem now, is that the dam hinges for the door are in the wrong
place; have to pick up a router in the sales to carve a hinge hole
further down the door! The things we have do to keep the other half
happy and quite.

Brian