Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hygena Washer Dryer, Vibrating Violently

wrote:

I have a Hygena (Apm8721) integrated Washer/Dryer about 8 years old;
It has started vibrating very badly on the higher spin cycles; the
concrete counter weight is bashing the front of machine when spinning.

My initial thought was the bracket had sheared, this happened with the
first unit, which was replaced under warranty (design fault, made
weight too small when designing cut out for the plinth). Lifting the
machine reveals that the counter weight and bracket is intact, springs
are in place.

Called bloke from local paper, who confirmed above; he said the spider
has probably broken and its in the drum, so very hard to get to, so
it's a new machine.

Is this a DIY repair? What would be involved? Its £600 notes for a
new machine. Would the parts be expensive, would I have to buy them
from MFI?

What are the chances of a successful repair? This would be the first
time I would be attempting this type of repair.

I am still using the machine, except that I put it on the 500 spin
cycle when it starts bashing around; Funny thing is, very occasionally
it goes normally through 1200 spin cycle, without any vibration.
Machine is level!

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Brian

The problem is nothing to do with the spider that supports the drum.
The fact that it will sometimes spin at 1200 confirms this beyond
doubt. That leaves 2 options:
1. your dampers arent damping enough
2. a fixing point has become detached.

Its nearly always the former. It would cost a small fraction of £600
in time to fix it, and replacement parts would be 2 figures.

NT