Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rayburn 80 throat plate

I have a rayburn 80 - not long moved into the house.
With the help of this newsgroup was able to locate spare parts needed
thanks everyone for that.

No its up and running I managed to get hold of info for the rayburn but
one thing that is not mentioned is the use of the throat plate, apart
from how to remove it for cleaning.

Question is - I know that if I open the throat plate slightly (by
pulling forward) the smoke goes around the back and presumably straight
up the chimney - logic tells me that apart from when lighting the fire
I should leave it closed ie: pushed to the back at all times, am I
correct in asuming this or is there some other reason that the throat
plate slides?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

" wrote:

Question is - I know that if I open the throat plate slightly (by
pulling forward) the smoke goes around the back and presumably straight
up the chimney - logic tells me that apart from when lighting the fire
I should leave it closed ie: pushed to the back at all times, am I
correct in asuming this or is there some other reason that the throat
plate slides?

The directions for my Rayburn agree with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No the Rayburn is a bit simpler than that it just has a sliding plate
called a throat plate that slides this may be similar to the damper I
guess.
Its difficult to know how to operate the beast as it is quite old but I
inherited it with the purchase of the house and as the water is Solar
powered I mainly use it for heating.