Posted to uk.d-i-y
Deebrief

Default Re Iron gutterings

my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution ?

Cheers

Dee

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Deebrief wrote:
my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to
leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution
?

Cheers

Dee

CEMENT!! Nah... Flashband the joint.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Atty

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:34:07 GMT, "Deebrief"
wrote:

my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution ?

The proper way is to take the joint apart and repack it with hemp and
sealant.

As I don't fancy angle grinding corroded screws off and wrestling with
damn heavy stuff up a ladder I tried rubber underseal/roof sealant
stuff. It worked a treat.

Mark the leaky joints on a wet day, then wait for a dry period (the
stuff claims to work when its wet, but this is what I did). Clean out
all around the joint. Then apply a thin layer across the joint, and
round the securing screw (where, IME, a lot of the leaking actually
occurs). You are trying to put enough on the joint to seal it without
obstructing the flow of water too much - so keep it thin and avoid
having a step at the ends/where it goes over the joint.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

wrote:

my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution ?

The proper way is to take the joint apart and repack it with hemp and
sealant.

The old way was to use paint and putty

Either saw or chop off the old remains of the gutter bolt nut, then with a
nail tap out the bolt from the bottom. With a large flat screw driver split
the joint open. gently support the male end of the gutter so you can clean
out the old putty from the socket end, this is usually done with a hacking
knife or a semi blunt chisel. All the putty must be cleaned out or the new
seal will not seat and will leak.When all the putty is cleaned off do the
same with the male length. Paint both socket and male end with oil paint.
Soften putty and roll a length of putty about 1/2 or 12mm thick full width
of the socket. place the male end back into the socket. With a nail realign
the bolt hole, then insert the new gutter bolt from the top so it fits into
the counter sunk hole, fit the nut on and screw by hand until it bits the
under side of the gutter. With a screw driver start to tighten the bolt
causing the putty to compress and squeeze out of the joint. do not over
tighten as this will crack the cast gutter. Clean off all the excess putty
with finger leaving the putty flush and then coat the inner and outer putty
with oil paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Deebrief Wrote:
my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to
leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution
?

Cheers

Dee

The guttering sections are held together with "gutter bolts" (obvious I
know). If you have a leak usually a joint has come apart, maybe because
a bolt has rusted through. To mend it properly you need to seperate the
two sections of guttering, if the bolt has broken thats easy if not you
will need to undo the bolt, probably impossible, or gently try to break
the bolt with a chisel. They are usually rusted and break easily.
Once you've opened the joint you can clean all the rust and dirt off
with sandpaper and then use some "non-setting gutter sealant" on the
joint and bolt together with a new bolt and nut.
Its not a difficult job and being a bungalow you wont be too high up.
Good luck.

--
Nick H

Posted to uk.d-i-y
norm

wrote:

my Mum has these on her bungalow and one or joints have started to leak.

What is the best way to stop this, someone says use a cement solution ?

Cheers

Dee

I raked out the old filler and filled the joints with "lead sheet
sealant " from Screwfix. Building Silicone should also be OK.
Norma