Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

Default Pilot light blows out - high winds

First winter in house
CH boiler is a (dont laugh) Wickes 40
the pilot light keeps being blown out
or at least, there appears to be a correleation between high winds
and no heating in the house
Any ideas to cure the problem
Boiler to be replaced next year when funds allow
thanks
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:48:43 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

| First winter in house
| CH boiler is a (dont laugh) Wickes 40
| the pilot light keeps being blown out
| or at least, there appears to be a correleation between high winds
| and no heating in the house
| Any ideas to cure the problem
| Boiler to be replaced next year when funds allow
| thanks

In the case of pilot light problems, first replace the thermocouple.
These are cheap readily available and easy to replace.
Everything else costs more and is more difficult.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Dave
Fawthrop writes
wrote:

| First winter in house
| CH boiler is a (dont laugh) Wickes 40
| the pilot light keeps being blown out
| or at least, there appears to be a correleation between high winds
| and no heating in the house
| Any ideas to cure the problem
| Boiler to be replaced next year when funds allow
| thanks

In the case of pilot light problems, first replace the thermocouple.
These are cheap readily available and easy to replace.
Everything else costs more and is more difficult.

Agreed, and clean the crap from around the pilot jet.

What is the flue type? Conventional, room sealed (balanced). Flue
location, exposed, between 2 buildings?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"fred" wrote in message ...
What is the flue type? Conventional, room sealed (balanced). Flue
location, exposed, between 2 buildings?

the boiler is in the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs (1st floor)
the flue goes horizontally straight out the wall behind the boiler
on the gable end of the house, no other buildings within 60 feet
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Vass wrote:
First winter in house
CH boiler is a (dont laugh) Wickes 40
the pilot light keeps being blown out
or at least, there appears to be a correleation between high winds
and no heating in the house
Any ideas to cure the problem
Boiler to be replaced next year when funds allow

Could be it's rather weedier than it should be through crud in the jet.

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:36:53 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

| "fred" wrote in message ...
| What is the flue type? Conventional, room sealed (balanced). Flue
| location, exposed, between 2 buildings?
|
| the boiler is in the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs (1st floor)
| the flue goes horizontally straight out the wall behind the boiler
| on the gable end of the house, no other buildings within 60 feet.

If it is wind, the problem should only occur with certain wind directions.
Turbulence means that the wind direction at the flue may be massively
different from general wind direction, so the *local* wind may blow
directly into the flue when the general wind is from the other side of the
house :-(