Posted to uk.d-i-y
lonestar

Default Ungumming a Mira shower

I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked
by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

would be delighted if someone would like to advise me on what needs
doing - don't be afraid of patronising me, I know next-to-nothing about
plumbing.

many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

lonestar wrote:

I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked
by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

would be delighted if someone would like to advise me on what needs
doing - don't be afraid of patronising me, I know next-to-nothing
about plumbing.

many thanks.

If you're in a hard water area, the head is probably bunged up with
limescale. To do a proper job, you really need to dismantle it. But you may
be able to improve it by simply soaking it in vinegar overnight. The head
should unscrew quite easily from the end of the flexible hose.

Take the head off and operate the shower. If you get a good flow of water
from the hose - which is likely - it indicates that the valve is ok and that
it's the head which is bunged up. Soak in vinegar, as above. If the flow
from the hose is poor, the problem could be in the valve - for which you
will probably need some outside assistance.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
lonestar

thanks for the reply set square.

i suspect outside assistance will be required, as i've unscrewed the
shower hose from the main shower body, and the water comes through as a
weak trickle, which leads me to think that the problem is within the
shower inards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

lonestar wrote:

thanks for the reply set square.

i suspect outside assistance will be required, as i've unscrewed the
shower hose from the main shower body, and the water comes through as
a weak trickle, which leads me to think that the problem is within the
shower inards.

It sounds a bit that way, doesn't it!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

lonestar said the following on 28/11/2005 11:15:
I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked
by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

would be delighted if someone would like to advise me on what needs
doing - don't be afraid of patronising me, I know next-to-nothing about
plumbing.

many thanks.

For reference, I can heartily recommend Henkel Limelite power gel to
remove limescale from shower head, screens, around plaugholes, taps etc.

http://www.limeliteinfo.co.uk/LimeLi...m?ccs=49&cs=36

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson

On 28 Nov 2005 03:15:20 -0800, "lonestar"
wrote:

I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

My Mira showers came with instructions for dismantling for servicing -
try ringing Mira to see if they will send you a copy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

"lonestar" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked
by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

they are pretty complex, especially if thermostatic. This diagram for
non-therm. came up a few weeks ago on this n/g
http://www.showerdoctor.co.uk/shower...ra/mira-88.htm

After I dismantled and descaled a thermostatic one it only worked for few
weeks so I got a new one.

bland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
lonestar

thanks for all the replies, i've tunrned up the diagram below, and due
to the complexity of the design i think i'll leave it to the
professionals.

http://www.showerdoctor.co.uk/shower...ort-upto98.htm

Please help me bleed my mira sport shower [email protected] UK diy 4 August 25th 05 11:11 AM
Ungumming a Mira shower Andy Mabbett UK diy 6 July 29th 04 07:37 PM
Mira Shower Query Rakster UK diy 1 May 26th 04 02:05 PM
Mira 415 shower mixer unit or any Mira shower mixer unit Mr Blue Skye UK diy 7 January 19th 04 08:36 PM
Mira Shower Problems dave cunningham UK diy 2 January 9th 04 05:23 PM