Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Ungumming a Mira shower

lonestar wrote:

I have a Mira shower, which has stopped working - it's reduced to a
trickle.

I have been advised that a valve inside the shower is probably blocked
by a crumb of crud, or furred up.

Which bit do I need to clean, and how?

would be delighted if someone would like to advise me on what needs
doing - don't be afraid of patronising me, I know next-to-nothing
about plumbing.

many thanks.

If you're in a hard water area, the head is probably bunged up with
limescale. To do a proper job, you really need to dismantle it. But you may
be able to improve it by simply soaking it in vinegar overnight. The head
should unscrew quite easily from the end of the flexible hose.

Take the head off and operate the shower. If you get a good flow of water
from the hose - which is likely - it indicates that the valve is ok and that
it's the head which is bunged up. Soak in vinegar, as above. If the flow
from the hose is poor, the problem could be in the valve - for which you
will probably need some outside assistance.
--
Cheers,
Set Square